Lemon Poppy Seed Bread

Sat, 16 Jan 2021 16:33:26 -0800
v121.n002.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Lemon Poppy Seed

Recipe By     : Sally
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Posted
                 Quick Bread

   2               cups  all-purpose flour -- (250g)
   4          teaspoons  poppy seeds
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
   1              large  egg -- at room temp
      3/4           cup  granulated sugar -- (150g)
      1/3           cup  vegetable oil -- (80ml)
      1/3           cup  sour cream -- Note 1:
      2/3           cup  milk -- whole, at room temp, (160ml)
   3        Tablespoons  lemon juice -- (45ml)
   1         Tablespoon  lemon zest
                         Glaze
      1/2           cup  confectioners' sugar -- (60g)
   1         Tablespoon  lemon juice -- (15ml)
                         Optional:
                         candied lemon slices -- followed the
tutorial below to make them

This lemon poppy seed bread can be simple enough for a weekday
breakfast or can be dressed up with candied lemon slices and extra
glaze for fancy afternoon tea. No matter how or when you serve it,
this quick bread is moist, flavorful, and speckled with plenty of poppy seeds.

Note 1: or plain yogurt/Greek yogurt, at room temp, (80g)

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 55 minutes
Total: 1:30

Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Spray a 9x5" loaf pan with nonstick spray.

Whisk the flour, poppy seeds, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg and
granulated sugar together until combined. Whisk in the oil, sour
cream, milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Pour the wet ingredients
into the dry ingredients, then whisk to completely combine. Avoid
over-mixing; a few small lumps are OK.

Pour/spread the batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Bake the bread
for 50 minutes to 1 hour, covering loosely with foil about halfway
through to help the loaf bake evenly. Poke the center of the bread
with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the bread is done. Oven
times will vary between ovens. My bread usually takes 55 minutes.

Cool bread completely in the pan set on a wire rack. *Feel free to
drizzle with glaze (next step) while the bread is still warm. The
glaze seeps down into the warm bread this way, adding extra moisture.*

Make the glaze: *This doesn't yield a lot of glaze- just a light
layer. Feel free to double the glaze if you want more.* Whisk the
confectioners' sugar and lemon juice together. Drizzle over bread
while it's still warm in the loaf pan or after it cools.

Slice and serve. Cover and store leftover plain or glazed bread at
room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.

Freezing Instructions: For longer storage, you can freeze the glazed
or unglazed bread for up to 3 months. If you're interested in my tips
for freezing quick bread, see my Make Ahead Baking post. Allow to
thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature
before glazing (if needed) and serving.

Sour Cream & Milk: I recommend full fat sour cream and whole milk.
You can use plain yogurt instead, but avoid fat free if you can. I
don't recommend a lower fat or nondairy milk here, though you can use
it in a pinch. The bread won't taste as rich and moist.

Muffins: My favorite lemon poppy seed muffins are these soft, sweet,
and cake-like blackberry lemon poppy seed muffins. For muffins with a
tighter crumb (but same great flavor), you can use this quick bread
batter. Grease a 12-count muffin pan or line with liners. You will
need a 2nd pan for 2 additional muffins as this recipe yields around
14. (Or bake in batches.) Prepare batter as directed. Fill liners all
the way to the top with batter. Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at
425F (218C) then, keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven
temperature to 350F (177C). Bake for an additional 15 to 17 minutes
or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. The
total time these muffins take in the oven is about 20 to 22 minutes,
give or take. Cool muffins for 5 minutes in the muffin pan, then
transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling. Makes 14 muffins.

Mini Loaves: Grease a mini loaf pan. Prepare batter as directed. Fill
pan all the way to the top with batter. Bake at 350F (177C) until a
toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Bake time and yield
depends on the size of your mini loaf pan.

Lemon: 2 medium lemons are enough for this recipe. You should get 1
Tablespoon of zest from 1 medium lemon and 2 medium lemons will
provide enough juice for both the bread and glaze.

Poppy Seeds: Skip the poppy seeds if desired or replace with the same
amount of black sesame seeds or chia seeds.

Other Citrus: Feel free to swap the lemon juice and zest with other
citrus juice and zest, such as orange, blood orange, lime, or
grapefruit. You can leave out the poppy seeds if desired.

How To Make Candied Lemon Slices:

Candied Lemons are EASY to make! They make beautiful edible garnishes
for baked goods and can be enjoyed as a treat, as well. Great way to
use up lemons!

Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Servings: 16

In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring
to a boil. Reduce to a simmer (med-low) and add lemon slices in a single layer.

Simmer over medium-low (uncovered) for 15 minutes, gently flipping
once or twice during the cooking process.

Transfer the lemon slices to a wire cooling rack or waxed paper and let cool.

Notes: If you love lemons and have a lot of them on your hands, make
an extra big batch of candied lemons and store them in the
refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Use 1 cup of simple syrup in place of the water and sugar in the
recipe, if desired.

Let the candied lemons sit at room temperature for up to 24 hours
before storing in an air-tight container.

HOW TO MAKE CANDIED LEMON SLICES: Candied Lemon Slices are SO EASY to
make! They make beautiful edible garnishes for baked goods and can be
enjoyed as a treat, as well. Such a great way to use up lemons!

Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Servings: 16

1 cup granulated sugar

1 cup water

2 tbsp fresh lemon juice

2-3 lemons sliced to 1/8" thickness

In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring
to a boil. Reduce to a simmer (med-low) and add lemon slices in a single layer.

Simmer over medium-low (uncovered) for 15 minutes, gently flipping
once or twice during the cooking process.

Transfer the lemon slices to a wire cooling rack or waxed paper and let cool.

Notes: If you love lemons and have a lot of them on your hands, make
an extra big batch of candied lemons and store them in the
refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Use 1 cup of simple syrup in place of the water and sugar in the
recipe, if desired.

Let the candied lemons sit at room temperature for up to 24 hours
before storing in an air-tight container.

Cal 52, Fat 0.4g, Carb 14g, Sod 1mg, Fiber 0.37g, Pro 0.15g

Question: This looks super yummy! I was able to find poppy seeds and
this will be a great recipe to use them in. I have 3X5 mini loaf pans
and usually one regular loaf recipe makes 3 of my small ones. Will
this recipe yield 3 small 3X5 loaves?
Response: Yes, it definitely should!

Question: This looks delicious! I am excited to bake this. Can you
recommend a substitute for the oil? I'm trying to avoid industrial
oils, and I know some recipes require them. Could this one work with
a substitute? I've heard applesauce works, but I've never tried it. Thank you!
Response: Melted butter would be the best substitute for any cooking
oil. Avoid using applesauce. Without the fat, the bread will taste
dry and even a bit rubbery.

Question: This is cooling on my counter right now! I can't wait to
try it. This was a very easy recipe to make, wondering if it could be
made with butter instead.
Response: You can use melted butter instead of oil. However, the
crumb won't be as moist. Let me know how you like your 1st loaf!

Review: Loved this bread! I doubled the syrup for the topping as
suggested, it was great. I heartily recommend doing this. Thanks for
a great and VERY easy recipe! As soon as I saw it I knew I had to
make it right away.

Review: Made this today (as soon as it hit my phone) as lemon poppy
seed anything is my husband's favorite. This is excellent. I started
with a thinner glaze on top after I put pin holes in bread and then
followed with the regular glaze. Everything came out perfect. I had
to substitute 5% full fat yogurt as he gets headaches from sour
cream. He is on his third piece now!!!

Review: Oh my goodness!! I made these as a quick afternoon baking
project for something to do, and they. are. amazing! We have 3x5 mini
baking tins, and I was able to make 4 loaves with the batter. I love
how light and fluffy they turn out! I baked them for 25 minutes, and
they were perfect. Thank you so much for this lovely recipe!

Review: I baked the mini loaves and took them to the Hospice House my
mother is in and she perked right up on the very first bite. She has
always loved lemon and this was so easy to make. You're a baking genius!

Review: This was easy to make and turned out sooooo good! We cut into
it within minutes of it coming out of the oven. It's fluffy, moist,
and had lots of great lemon flavor. I only needed 50 minutes for
baking, and I found the light glaze to be plenty! Not super sweet but
definitely sweet enough.

Review: I made this and it's delicious! Substituted apple sauce for
egg due to an allergy. It came out great.

Question: I live in Mexico and can't ever find fresh lemons but they
do sell those little bottles of lemon juice. Could I use this and if
so what should I do about the lemon zest? Is there a sub for that?
Response: You can use bottled lemon juice. Skip the zest. Feel free
to add a little more lemon juice since you won't have the zest in the
batter, but make sure you take out some milk. For example if you
added another 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice, remove 1 Tablespoon of milk.

Review: I made this with Grapefruit because that was all I had on
hand. It is very good! I love the texture of this bread, and the
grapefruit is very subtle. Not too sweet. Perfect afternoon treat on
a cold January day! Thank you Sally!

Review: This was probably the best lemon loaf I've ever been able to
make! It was moist and had a good texture. The glaze is essential...
double it for sure. Maybe this is taboo, but I actually think I'll
add some lemon flavoring next time. Just a personal preference. Start
checking it early, mine was slightly over baked at 50 minutes.

Review: As USUAL this was delicious! Two smaller loaves and
substituted buttermilk and I must say, the second day it was better
than the first! So delicious and Springtimey had Meyer lemons which
made it extra delicious!

Review: This was really good and quite easy but I'd prefer a more
intense lemon flavor so I'll add more zest next time and lemon juice
on top after baking. Yum thank you for the recipe!

Review: Just made this, and it turned out amazing!! I used oat milk
instead of whole milk and kept everything else the same. So fluffy,
not overly sweet, and the lemon flavor is perfect. Thank you so much
for sharing!

Review: This bread was so good! My mom is a BIG fan of lemon poppy
seed anything and even my younger sister liked it (which is pretty
rare since she is super picky). The glaze enhanced the lemon flavor
even more and it was delicious. Thank you so much!

Review: I made this today, I have been craving something lemony. I
used chia seeds and it turned out great! Many thanks.

S(Internet address):
   https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/lemon-poppy-seed-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 155 Calories; 6g Fat (34.2%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 15mg Cholesterol; 124mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch);
0 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0116