Irish Soda Bread Muffins

Sat, 24 Apr 2021 15:06:58 -0700
v121.n018.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Muffins, Irish Soda Bread

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Grains                          Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

   1 1/4            cup  all-purpose flour
      3/4           cup  whole wheat flour -- (or substitute more AP flour)
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/2      teaspoon  salt
      1/3           cup  granulated sugar
   1                cup  currants -- or raisins, Note 1:
   1           teaspoon  caraway seeds
   1              large  egg
   1                cup  Greek yogurt -- Note 2: plain or vanilla
yogurt is fine too
      1/2           cup  vegetable oil
   2          teaspoons  orange zest
                         Demerara sugar -- or other coarse sugar for topping

Currants, caraway seeds, and orange zest dot these these Irish soda
bread inspired muffins. A dusting of coarse sugar along the top gives
them an irresistibly sweet crunch.

PREP: 15 mins
COOK: 20 mins
TOTAL: 35 mins

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a 12-cup, standard-size muffin tin with
paper liners.

Note 1: I used half regular raisins and half golden raisins

Note 2: plain or vanilla yogurt is fine too

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour,
whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar,
currants/raisins, and caraway seeds.

In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the egg, yogurt, vegetable
oil, and orange zest.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and gently combine with a large
spoon, mixing just until the batter comes together. The batter will
be very thick.

Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, dividing evenly
between the 12 cups. I used an ice cream scoop which made quick work of it.

Sprinkle coarse sugar over the top of each muffin.

Bake for 18 - 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center
comes out clean.

Remove from the oven and tip each muffin in their pan to help the
steam escape and avoid soggy bottoms. Let cool for 5 minutes, then
move the muffins to a rack to finish cooling enough to serve.

Serve with butter and/or jam.

Review: This is such a great idea! I'm always hesitant to make loaves
of bread because the husband and I can't eat them before they start
going stale/moldy, but with muffins, I can throw them in the freezer
and eat them anytime. Win!

Review: I love muffins and Irish soda bread so this is great! Perfect
grab and go food.

   "Karen"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.kitchentreaty.com/irish-soda-bread-muffins/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 230 Calories; 11g Fat (40.5%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
21mg Cholesterol; 209mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0424