Blueberry-Basil Muffins

Sat, 29 May 2021 21:38:11 -0700
v121.n021.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Muffins, Blueberry-Basil

Recipe By     : Nicole
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Muffins/Rolls                   Posted
                 Side Dish                       Snacks

                         For the blueberry-basil sauce:
      1/2           cup  blueberries -- fresh
   2        tablespoons  basil -- chopped fresh
   1         tablespoon  sugar
                         For the muffins:
      1/2           cup  unsalted butter -- Note 1:
      1/2           cup  milk -- room temp
   2                     eggs
   2        tablespoons  basil -- chopped fresh
   1           teaspoon  lemon zest -- grated
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
      3/4          cups  sugar -- plus
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
   1           teaspoon  salt
   2               cups  blueberries -- fresh

Plump, juicy blueberries and fresh basil are the perfect pairing for
these moist, cake-like muffins, which can be enjoyed for breakfast,
brunch or on-the-go snacking.

Note 1: melted and cooled, (8 Tbsp)

Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Total: 50 minutes

Make the blueberry-basil sauce:
Add all of the ingredients to a microwave safe container. Microwave
on high for 1 minute, then remove the container from the microwave
and use the back of a spoon to break apart any blueberries that are
still whole. Cover and refrigerate the sauce until well chilled.

Make the muffins:
Preheat your oven to 375F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with
liners or coat with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the
butter, milk, eggs, basil and lemon zest on medium speed until well
combined, about 2 to 3 minutes. With your mixer on low, slowly add in
the flour, 3/4 cups of the sugar, baking powder and salt, beating
until the dry ingredients are just incorporated. Fold in the blueberries.

Scoop the muffin batter into your prepared muffin tin, dividing the
batter evenly between the 12 cups. Add a small amount of the sauce to
the center of each muffin, using about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of the sauce
for each muffin, pushing it down as far as you can into the batter.
Sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of sugar over the tops of the muffins.

Transfer the muffin tin to your pre-heated oven and bake for 25 to 28
minutes. The tops of the muffins should be slightly brown, and a
toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Remove from
the oven and allow the muffins to cool in their tin for 5 to 10
minutes. Then remove the muffins from their tin and transfer them to
a wire rack to continue cooling.

Once fully cooled, the muffins can be stored in an airtight container
at room temperature for up to 2 days.

Review: They turned out so good!! I used Bob's Red Mill Cup-For-Cup
Gluten Free Baking Flour. The gluten free flour didn't really mix
great in the mixer, but I had a feeling that would happen as it
doesn't have the same consistency as regular flour, so as soon as
everything was mixed and starting to ball together I finished folding
the blueberries in by hand. I also had to roll the dough into balls
by hand and then place them into the muffin tins. But, the end
product was delicious! Even my husband, who was skeptical of the
basil, was asking for more!

Question: Do you think these would work with flax eggs instead of
chicken eggs? Thanks!
Reply: It should! I've been making eggless muffins for over a year
now. I've not tried this one yet, but I don't see why there'd be any issues.

Review: These came out really good and puffed nicely over the top of
the pan. Not too sweet. It is middle of winter and I had some fresh
basil, but used frozen blueberries; a no-brainer substitute for
fresh. Just microwave the sauce for 90 seconds instead of 60, but
otherwise no difference.

Review: I baked these muffins tonight and I am thrilled with the
results! There's plenty of herbaceous flavor from the basil but it
balances out nicely against the sweetness of the blueberries + sugar
(and I used slightly less sugar than the recipe). Also, I took the
muffins out at the 25 minute mark and found them crispy on the top
and moist in the middle. Would bake these again.

S(Internet address):
   https://ohmyveggies.com/blueberry-basil-muffins/#wprm-recipe-container-34363

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 240 Calories; 9g Fat (33.9%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
57mg Cholesterol; 279mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0529