Lemon Buns

Sat, 08 Jan 2022 17:03:38 -0800
v121.n048.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                                Buns, Lemon

Recipe By     : King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

   113                g  water -- lukewarm, (1/2C or 4 oz)
   170                g  milk -- lukewarm, (3/4C or 6 oz)
   113                g  unsalted butter -- melted (1/2 C)
   1              large  egg
   1         tablespoon  lemon zest -- grated, or 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil
   2          teaspoons  salt
   1         tablespoon  sugar
   510                g  All-Purpose Flour -- Unbleached, (4 1/4C or 18 oz)
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast
                         GLAZE
   43                 g  unsalted butter -- melted (3 Tbsp or 1 1/2 oz)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  lemon zest -- grated, or 1/8 teaspoon lemon oil

These buns are the quintessential hot yeast bun - but with an
unexpected and refreshing jolt of lemon. The lemon elevates them
beyond ordinary dinner rolls to something special: tea or breakfast
rolls, perfect for spreading with homemade preserves. Tender and
buttery, with a crisp, golden crust, they're distinctly and
assertively lemon, but not sweet: a new and interesting concept in
baked goods. These are simply awesome with raspberry jam!

PREP: 21 min
BAKE: 30 min to 35 min
TOTAL: 3:23 to 3:28

Combine all the ingredients - by hand, mixer or bread machine - to
make a smooth, soft dough.

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl with
plastic wrap, and allow the dough to rise for about 1 1/2 hours, or
until it's puffy, though it may not have doubled in bulk.

Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled work surface, and divide it
into 20 pieces. Allow the pieces to rest, covered, for 10 minutes.

Round the dough into balls, and place them in two lightly greased 9"
round cake pans. Cover the pans, and allow the buns to rise for about
1 hour, or until they're nice and puffy and have filled the pan.

While the buns are rising, combine the glaze ingredients, and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 375F.

Brush the buns lightly with half the glaze. Bake them for 30 to 35
minutes, or until they're golden brown.

Remove the buns from the oven, and brush them with the remaining glaze.

Store for 3 days on the counter, or freeze for up to a month.

Review: This recipe is outstanding! What a lovely lemony flavor
coupled with a great texture. It's not sweet, and yet...it satisfies
the same way a good sweet can, due to the lemon. I used both fresh
zest and lemon oil, in both the dough and the glaze. Could not be
better. (Well, I could shape my buns a little better, but that's on
me.) I imagine these, made larger, would hold delicious tuna salad
sandwiches or even cucumber-smoked salmon and be the hit of tea time
or a picnic. In fact, after I bake a set for Easter supper, next
after that will be those smoked salmon delights. These buns are
glorious. And easy. I love KAF.

Review: Used vegan butter and oat milk to make this dairy free. I
upped the lemon because I love lemon flavor. They were really good
fresh with raspberry jam but didn't keep well. Next time I will half
it so there won't be leftovers.

Question: Can I halve this recipe ? Also I used kosher salt . Next
time I'll take them out 3 to 5 minutes sooner. I used my dough hook.
These roll were really good.
Response: You're welcome to halve the recipe if you'd like to make
only 10 buns. Divide all of the ingredients in half, and you can
either scramble the egg and add about half to the dough or you can
use the whole egg and reduce the water by about 2 tablespoons. Either
approach will work. If you're using coarse Kosher salt, you'll want
to use about 2 1/2 teaspoons of salt in this recipe.

Question: The taste of these buns is fabulous! I wonder if people
pass by clicking on this one, but they should! I was looking for
something without much of a rise time in order to deliver as a little
gift for a visit on time. It took longer than expected for the shaped
dough to rise. I needed to place them in a warmed oven in order to
finally get them to spring up and fill the pans. I wonder if the
order of ingredients to make the dough impacted it. I dissolved the
yeast in the warmed sugar water at the proper temperature for such,
and added it to the four mixture containing all of the other
ingredients. The recipe doesn't specify that the order of addition is
necessary.
Response: The ingredients can be mixed in any order without
compromising the rise of the dough. If you're using yeast that's
still good, it will become active once it's mixed with the moisture
in the recipe. If you want to test your yeast to ensure it's still
fresh, feel free to mix it with some of the warm milk or water in the recipe.

Review: I knead by hand and this dough was really easy to work with.
One half I used for buns and the other half I shaped into a loaf. I
omitted the glaze. The result is soft, lemony bread with almost flaky
crust. I don't have sweet tooth and this recipe uses only 1To sugar. Love it!

Review: I love these buns and have baking them for years. They taste
like a lemony brioche. I usually bake them with the lemon oil since
it's more convenient, but i prefer them with the lemon zest because
it gives a stronger and more complex lemon flavor. I usually bake
them without the glaze because I think they're rich (and delicious)
enough without it.

Review: These are lovely & light. Here, in Tucson, Lemon Trees are
abundant and finding new uses for the fruit is always welcomed. Next
time, I will add even more zest...the flavors are fresh, not tart and
not sweet.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/lemon-buns-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 161 Calories; 7g Fat (39.9%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
29mg Cholesterol; 223mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0425