Olive Biscuits

Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:30:13 -0700
v122.n010.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Biscuits, Olive

Recipe By     : Giada De Laurentiis
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List

   2 1/2           cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more for dusting
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
      1/2      teaspoon  kosher salt
   1                cup  olives -- Spanish, chopped
   1                cup  mascarpone cheese -- chilled
      3/4           cup  lowfat buttermilk -- chilled
                         Note 1: Orange marmalade and softened salted
butter -- optional, for serving

Note 1: Orange marmalade and softened salted butter for serving, optional

Active: 15 min
Total: 35 min

Preheat the oven to 475F. Position an oven rack so it is in the top
third of the oven.

Add the flour, baking powder and salt to a medium bowl and whisk to
combine. Stir in the olives. Using your fingers or a fork, cut the
mascarpone into the flour mixture until it resembles small pebbles in
the flour. Add the buttermilk and gently mix until a rough dough is
formed. (Do not overmix.) Pour the mixture onto a lightly floured
surface and gently gather into a 1" thick square. Using a 2" round
biscuit cutter, cut as many rounds as your square will allow. Gather
the scraps once, reform and cut a few more. (You will have about 12
biscuits.) Place on a small rimmed baking sheet so that the biscuits
touch each other. Bake in the top third of the oven until light
golden brown and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with orange
marmalade and softened salted butter on the side, if using.

Review: This was my first attempt at making any sort of buttermilk
biscuit.  These were surprisingly easy to prepare, and they came out
unbelievably flaky and buttery (even though there is no butter!) and
delicious.  The recommendation to serve with softened butter and
orange marmalade is amazing.  Will be saving this recipe, for sure.

Review: Made these biscuits for our holiday dinner...they were
delicious...and good as leftovers! Now I will try adding olives to a
low carb biscuit recipe!

Review: The only olives I had in the pantry was a jar of Costco's
green olives stuffed with jalapenos.  The biscuits were crunchy on
top and delicious with a bit of a kick from the jalapenos.  Topped
with butter and apricot jam (what was in the fridge) made them heavenly!

Review: I made this recipe to use up a few half bottles of olives
left over from holiday parties. I did have to cook a few extra
minutes for browning as my convection oven only goes to 450 degrees.
The olives were not overpowering in flavor and added interest. I
might use pimento stuffed olives next time and use for mini ham sandwiches.

Review: I just made these for a birthday party and New Years eve
dinner. They are so delicious and easy to make with no changes or
substitutions. I think the mascarpone cheese was the key ingredient.
I thought the olives would be over powering but they were not,
actually fairly tasteless. It is important to bake close to the heat
source for browning as suggested. I had to bake on the upper end of
the recommendation taking them out and removing the outer biscuits
then putting back in for 3 to 4 minutes to finish. Be sure not to
over mix as recommended. So good and will make again.

Review: Made this recipe exactly as written and it turned out delicious!
The recipe states to have the mascarpone "chilled" but when watching
Giada on tv she mentioned having it at room temp. I made the recipe
with the chilled mascarpone and it was somewhat difficult to
incorporate. When making these biscuits again I will have the
mascarpone at room temp as it would be much easier to mix it into the
flour. These were very easy to make and absolutely fantastic! Enjoy
them hot right from the oven! Highly recommended recipe! Thank you Giada!

Review: Great flaky-ness and easy to do! Be careful of how wet the
olives are. We used Kalamatas instead of Spanish Olives which worked
perfectly. Also making without the Olives for a neutral quick biscuit!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/olive-biscuits-8010588

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 157 Calories; 6g Fat (34.2%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
14mg Cholesterol; 321mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0410