Nutty-Fruity Sourdough Bread

Thu, 21 Apr 2022 16:30:23 -0700
v122.n014.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                       Bread, Nutty-Fruity Sourdough

Recipe By     : King Arthur Baking
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Nuts
                 Posted

   1                cup  sourdough starter -- ripe (fed), (227g)
   1                cup  water -- (227g)
      3/4           cup  Pumpernickel Flour -- (78g), Note 1: AKA
whole rye flour
   2 1/2           cups  All-Purpose Flour -- Unbleached, (300g)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt -- (9g)
   1           teaspoon  instant yeast
   1 1/2           cups  Fruitcake Fruit Blend -- or the dried fruits
of your choice, (184g)
   1                cup  nuts -- chopped, Note 2:

This dense, moist, gently tangy bread makes wonderful breakfast
toast. Or slice it very thin, and spread it with cream cheese or
butter - what a treat!

PREP: 16 mins
BAKE: 28 to 40 mins
TOTAL: 3 hrs 14 mins
YIELD: 1 loaf

Note:  Pumpernickel Flour aka whole rye flour
Note 2: pecans, walnuts, or almonds, (113g)

Weigh your flour; or measure it by gently spooning it into a cup,
then sweeping off any excess. Mix all of the ingredients (except the
fruit and nuts) by hand, mixer, or bread machine until you've created
a smooth, elastic dough. Because the consistency of sourdough
starters vary, you may need to add a bit of extra flour or water; the
dough should be medium-soft but not sticky.

Add the dried fruit and nuts, kneading until they're evenly
incorporated. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and
let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Turn the dough onto a lightly greased or floured surface, and form it
into a fat log. Place the log into an Italian stoneware baker that's
been greased on the bottom, or onto a lightly greased or
parchment-lined baking sheet.

Cover the loaf, and let it rise for 1 hour, or until it springs back
very slowly when lightly pressed.

If you're baking in a covered stoneware baker, place the bread into a
cold oven, set the oven to 400F, and bake for 40 minutes. Check the
bread, and bake for a bit longer, if necessary; the internal
temperature should be about 190F when measured on an instant-read
thermometer. Remove the bread from the oven, and cool it on a rack.

If you're baking on a sheet pan, preheat the oven to 375F, and bake
for 28 to 32 minutes, until the bread is brown. Remove the bread from
the oven, and cool it on a rack.

Review: It is a delicious loaf. I love the pumpernickel addition. I
took off the lid of my long baker after 40 minutes. Didn't look
cooked. Temperature was at 170. I left the lid off and continued to
bake for 20 minutes more. I wanted internal temperature to be 205. It
turned out beautiful and done perfectly.

Review: I love fruit and nut sourdough breads from the store so I was
excited to try this. I baked mine in a covered stoneware loaf pan and
it turned out beautifully. I think the texture is better than
storebought. It's lighter and less chewy.
I did not have pumpernickel flour so I used regular wheat in place. I
think it does make a difference bRead more about review stating
Better than store boughtecause mine needs "something" and it's
probably the pumpnickel tang.

Review: I love the crackle and tang of sourdough, but - sadly - not
everyone does. This bread, though, is welcomed by everyone. Plus, it
is ridiculously simple. As some have pointed out, it's not the
prettiest loaf in the basket, but who cares! It comes together
quickly, is highly adaptable, and never fails to satisfy.

Review: This feels like it could very well be a foolproof recipe!
Have three different sourdough starters, so you can imagine I have
quite a bit of discard! This was used as a mixture of all. Did not
have pumpernickel flour, so followed another reviewers suggestion and
used dark rye. Followed all other ingredients to the tee using
pecans, cashews and slivRead more about review stating Awesome
bread!ered almonds for the nuts, dried cranberries and raisins for
the fruit and hemp seeds. Cooked in a round baker, lid on for forty
mins but it still looked undercooked. I then cooked uncovered 10 more
mins and it came out perfect, with a nice crust. I'm in Southern
California., so not sure how that affects cooking times. Really
lovely taste especially slathered with butter! Thank you...will be
experiencing with other fruits and nuts in future, as this is going
into common rotation!

Review: I used pumpernickel flour which did make it dark like the
picture. Next time I'll try rye. I added a couple TBLS of Boiled
Cider as I measured the water; great taste. The amount of fruit makes
for a very heavy dough, since we aren't a nut loving family I cut the
pecans by half. I made the dough in my bread maker and needed to add
more flour to getRead more about review stating I used pumpernickel
flour it to the right consistency. My husband loves it. I recommend
this recipe as I do most of the KAF recipes. Always love to try
something different. Making the Cream Cheese Cinnamon Spread from
this site to go with it.

Review: I wanted to replicate a roll I get at a local french bakery,
and these are dang close! I divided the dough into 16 rolls, brushed
them with an egg wash and baked them at 375 for 25 minutes. They're
beautiful and REALLY tasty. I used rye flour instead of pumpernickel
and played with the dough texture--added flour so it wasn't too
sticky. I used driRead more about review stating I wanted toed
cranberries, currents and chopped pecans. Will definitely make again!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/nutty-fruity-sourdough-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 184 Calories; 5g Fat (25.7%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 204mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 1 Fat.

NOTES : 2022 - 0421