Bread Machine Bagels

Sun, 15 May 2022 18:57:24 -0700
v122.n016.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bagels, Bread Machine

Recipe By     :Cristy Chu
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread Machine                   Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

   1                cup  warm water -- (110F/45C)
   1 1/2      teaspoons  salt
   2        tablespoons  white sugar
   3               cups  bread flour
   2 1/4      teaspoons  active dry yeast
   3             quarts  boiling water
   3        tablespoons  white sugar
   1         tablespoon  cornmeal
   1                     egg white
   3        tablespoons  poppy seeds

Quick and easy bagels you can make with your bread machine! You can
use whatever topping that you wish, many like poppy seeds.

Prep: 30 min
Cook: 3:25
Ready In: 3:55

Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in
the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting.

When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface.
Meanwhile, in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in
3 tablespoons of sugar.

Cut dough into 9 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball.
Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb.
Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to
even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth,
and let rest for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer
bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through.
Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet.
Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.

Bake in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.

Cal 50, Fat 1.3g, Carb 8.8g, Sod 404mg, Fiber 0.5g, Pro 1.4g

Review: This recipe is fantastic! I increased the water to 1 1/8 cups
as suggested by other reviewers. We love Panera Asiago Cheese bagels,
so I added 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese to the dough, shaped them,
let them rise for 30 minutes (great tip!), boiled them, then topped
each with a little more shredded asiago cheese. My husband said if he
didn't know I made them, he would have thought they came from the
bagel shop! Since the original recipe made 9 large bagels, which are
pretty big, I made them again, and divided it to make 12. They were a
little smaller, but a better portion for us. I'll be making this
recipe again and again!

Review: My husband loves these. I must admit, however, that I can't
(or won't) follow directions. I made whole wheat cinnamon raisin
bagels as follows: I used 2T of Splenda instead of the sugar in the
beginning. I then tried to make them healthier by using 1 1/2c of
whole wheat flour and 1/2c of wheat germ. I mixed it all in my
Kitchenaid. Once it had all pulled together I added 1c of white bread
flour about 1/4 c at a time until the whole cup was mixed in. I then
added 2t of cinnamon and 3/4c of raisins. I let that all rise in a
warm oven (covered) 30 minutes. I shaped them into balls, stuck a
finger in the middle and placed them back in the warm oven (covered)
for another 1/2 hour. I then boiled them in water with 3T blackstrap
molasses as someone else recommended. I think you could probably get
away with only 1T. I'll try that next time. I boiled them closer to 2
minutes each. I realized too late I didn't have any cornmeal so I
just sprayed the pan real well and it was fine. I also forgot all
about the egg wash which was fine too. Watch your baking time as mine
didn't need 20 to 25 minutes.

Review: I used to work in a Jewish Bakery. You should roll out the
dough and then pinch to form a circle. Also, let the bagels rise for
at least 1-2hrs after forming, this will enable them to take shape
and not look so narly. I think 9 bagels for this amt. of dough is too
much. Make 6, so they are big. The flavor was good, and its a fun
thing to do with your kids, but I will stick to the bakery. Thanks
for the recipe though, it was fun

Review: Revised: These were just like the bagels I used to get in
Boston. I always double this recipe which means I have to use my
kitchen aid instead of my bread machine. I let the dough rise for a
1/2 an hour, punch it down and repeat. After making the bagels into
their shape I let them sit for an hour to make sure they are nice and
fluffy. I usually get 9 large bagels. I used 2 tbs of molasses in the
water instead of sugar. I also used olive oil glaze because the egg
had a funny after taste

Review: I make these bagels every couple of weeks and they really are
easy and delicious. My only trouble was shaping them, so now I just
cut them in even squares and poke a hole in the middle. They come out
a little square but I'm not entering any contest for the roundest bagel.

Review: These bagels are just as good as Panera or Einstein. I make 8
and let them rise more like 20 minutes. My first topping choice was a
combo of onion flakes, coarse salt, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. We
added 2t of cinnamon to our second batch and topped with cinnamon
sugar. We're going to try mocha chocolate chip next. I may never have
a reason to go to the bagel shop again! Thanks for publishing this one!

Review: This is the first bagel recipe I have ever tried. I am
Canadian but live in the U.K. where you can't get a decent bagel. I
thought this recipe was excellent. I often put cheese on the top and
have also tried them plain. I tried putting the cheese inside but
found that it ruined them. I also only ever make 6 because I like
mine a little bigger. Wonderful recipe!!!

Review: I keep forgetting to rate these. The first couple of times I
made these they tasted wonderful but my shape was way off. I decided
to cut them like I would for a rolled out round cookie. Made a world
of difference. I let them rise for around 30 minutes and used the
dowel end of a wooden spoon to poke a hole direct into the center. I
then twirled around the dowel. Perfect bagel shape. I also quit
adding the eggwash. I went instead by the directions on Allrecipes
and put what ever flavors I wanted after boiling on top. Came out
perfect. My 3 year old granddaughter loves making up different
flavors to make with her "Nonnie" She made apple cinnamon last week.
These are a hit. Thanks.

Review: I'll never buy bagels again. I made this recipe with 2 cups
of whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour. I added 3 TBS wheat
gluten, and increased the water by 1/4 cup. As another reviewer
suggested, rather than poking a hole in the middle, I rolled the
pieces into ropes and then pinched them closed. Then, as others
suggested, I let them raise 30 minutes. It's important not to let the
bagels boil any longer than 60 seconds before removing them from the
water. BEAUTIFUL!

Review: Wow! This was SUPER EASY to do and very yummy! I altered the
recipe to make orange cranberry bagels for Thanksgiving day
breakfast. I replaced the water with 3/4 c. orange juice and 1/4 c.
water and warmed it up in the microwave before putting it in to the
bread machine. I also added 1 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 can cranberry
sauce. They turned out AMAZING and left the house smelling so good! I
served the bagels with home made apple butter and cream cheese
whipped w/orange zest and sugar. My sweetie wants me start making
them all the time!

Review: I love these! The first time I made them, the whole process
seemed involved and cumbersome for 8 bagels (I find it easier to
divide the dough in half and then each of those halves in half and
then once more to end up with 8 relatively equally sized baels). The
second and third times I made them (in as many days!), I streamlined
the process a bit. I scaled up the recipe to 4 cups of flour, 1
tablespoon of yeast, etc. I still made 8 niced sized bagels with that
amount. Follow the recipe directions for forming them--much easier
and effective than rolling and pinching as suggested in one review
and the result is the same (or better, because a couple of my bagels
came apart at the pinch in the boiling water). Just roll the
sectioned dough into balls and flatten them a little and poke a
finger through the center and stretch out. As soon as I finished
forming them, I started water boiling in a saucepan (used much less
than 3 qts). I also turned the oven on then to pre-heat, laid out
towel for draining the bagels, & set up cookie sheet with corn meal.
The bagels rising for 10 min was plenty. Bagels should not be fluffy!
I set microwave timer for about 12 min and plunked the bagels in the
boiling water one at a time, flipping with tongs after 30 seconds and
pulling them out onto the draining towel after 60. The timer counting
down helped me keep track. As they drained, I moved them to the
cookie sheet, brushed with egg white, sprinkled on toppings and popped in oven.

Review: These were so good, they didn't last more than half an hour
after I took them out of the oven! I made 6 bagels instead of 9, so I
would have nice bakery sized bagels. I kneaded garlic powder into
one, then topped it with minced garlic and cheddar cheese. On two
others, I sprinkled kosher salt, on two others I sprinkled cheddar
cheese, and I left the last one plain. Everyone loved them. I'll
definitely make them again, but I think I'll boil them a tiny bit
longer and add a bit of baking soda to the water to get an even
chewier outside. Thanks for a great recipe!

Review: Not only did I have TONS of fun making these bagels they
turned out awesome. I made 2 cinnamon sugar, 2 plain, 2 covered with
cheddar and 2 cheddar bacon. DELICIOUS EASY RECIPE. I will be making..

Review: First time I made bagels & they came out great! I made 6
instead of 9. To make the center hole I took the rubber end of a
baster off & dipped that end in flour then poked in the dough to make
a hole....worked perfectly....topped bagels with onion, sesame seed,
poppy seed, garlic & kosher salt. Definitely make a double batch soon!

Review: I generally used this recipe although I changed it a bit
because the recipe I tried prior was producing flatter bagels. I
didn't have that problem with this recipe (I'm thinking it was the 3
tablespoons of sugar in the water?) Anyway, I made muesli bagels by
adding in a cup of muesli, a half cup of sunflower seeds, and a
handful of raisins and dried cranberries (I cut out about a half cup
of flour). I also used 1 and a quarter cup of water. The bagels were
amazing. This is a good base recipe if you're experimenting with bagel-making.

Review: These bagels are incredible! I made them yesterday for the
first time, and they turned out perfectly, even with a few changes. I
used all-purpose flour instead of bread flour, and I don't have a
bread machine, so I simply used my kitchen aid mixer to do the mixing
and kneading, then let the dough rest in a warm spot for about an
hour. Instead of sugar in the boiling water I used 3 T blackstrap
molasses (something my mother used to do). And since my oven is,
shall we say, rather tempermental, I opted to use our programmable
roaster oven (yes, the kind you roast turkeys and stuff in). Even
with all the changes, and having the kids in my in-home day care
"help" me, they turned out perfectly. My husband, who is definitely
not a fan of bagels, demolished one last night and the remaining 2
for breakfast this morning--and then requested I make more!
  Thanks for such an awesome recipe!!

Review: Not bad considering this was the first time making my own
bagels. They were kinda flat, which was probably my fault for
manhandling the dough. Now that I know the process, I'll try these
again. I used 1 1/8 cup water as suggested by other reviewers. I
topped some with black sesame seeds (mmm!) and others with sea salt
and italian seasoning (they were yummy too!) Oh, and I boiled them
for 2 minutes instead of 1. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Review: These bagels are fantastic! I've made them twice in just one
week. I made some changes: replaced one cup of flour with whole wheat
flour and used all-purpose for the other two cups, replaced one tbsp
of sugar with brown sugar, added two tbsp cinnamon, added 1/2 cup
raisins to 2/3 of the dough (daughter does not like raisins), formed
then into 12 mini-bagels, let the bagels sit for an hour before
boiling, boiled for less than a minute, sprayed the cookie sheet and
the bagels with spray canola oil, and baked for about 25 minutes. The
bagels are delicious - crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- perfect!! And my children (aged 8 and 10) loved working with the
dough and forming their own bagels. A couple of the bagels look like
a pro made them! I would highly recommend this recipe!

Review: What a great recipe. I've never made bagels before. I was
always intimidated by the idea. But this recipe makes it so much
easier. The bread machine mixes the dough, then I boil and bake the
bagels. No problem. They came out very good. I made 6 large bagels
rather than the recommended 9. I need to improve my technique a bit
to get the shape nicer, but they were delicious... maybe not quite on
par with a New York bagel shop bagel, but certainly better than any
supermarket bakery bagel! What a great recipe. I've never made bagels
[...]
bagel!What a great recipe. I've never made bagels before. I was
[...]

S(Internet address):
   https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/7178/bread-machine-bagels

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 324 Calories; 3g Fat (8.9%
calories from fat); 10g Protein; 63g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 561mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0510