Gluten Free Waffles with Hidden Butternut Squash

Sun, 12 Jun 2022 20:20:05 -0700
v122.n020.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

         Waffles, Gluten Free Waffles with Hidden Butternut Squash

Recipe By     : Ivy Larson
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Food Processor
                 Grains                          Low Fat
                 Main Dish                       Pancakes/Waffles
                 Posted

   1                cup  butternut squash -- frozen
      1/2           cup  milk -- canned coconut, or lowfat
   2                     egg yolks -- Note 1:
   3                     dates -- medjool
   2        tablespoons  extra virgin coconut oil
      1/2      teaspoon  ginger -- freshly grated
      1/4           cup  tapioca starch flour
      1/2           cup  millet flour
      1/2           cup  brown rice flour
   1           teaspoon  pumpkin pie spice
   2          teaspoons  baking powder
      1/4           cup  water
   4                     egg whites

I'm always looking for creative ways to sneak more fruits and
vegetables into my recipes. This one for gluten free waffles with
hidden butternut squash is my new go-to breakfast favorite! I made
the waffles over the weekend and saved the batter in a mason jar,
which made Monday morning breakfast easy peasy.

They are healthy whole grain waffles that are light and crisp with
tender, chewy middles.

Note 1: look for pasture-raised organic eggs such as Vital Farms

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
Total: 20 minutes

To a high speed blender (such as a Vitamix), add the frozen butternut
squash, coconut milk, egg yolks, dates, coconut oil, ginger, tapioca
flour, millet flour, brown rice flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking
powder and water. Process on high until mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour the mixture into a separate bowl and set batter aside.

Preheat the waffle iron.

Add the egg whites to the blender and process on high speed for one
full minute. Fold the egg whites into the batter and stir to combine.

Working in batches, add the batter to the waffle iron (amount needed
and cooking time will vary depending on machine). Cook until waffles
are lightly browned and set. Serve warm.

Question: I made this recipe a few days ago. The batter was very
runny and didn't cook well in my waffle maker. Could it be because I
used Native Forest new "Simple" coconut milk that doesn't include
guar gum? I used the full-fat "Simple", but it was like water falling
out of the can, much unlike the solid block with a hint of water that
you find with the standard (guar gum added) full-fat coconut milk. Thanks!!
Reply: Oh no! I am so glad you shared this because yes, that
absolutely must have been the problem. I didn't even know Native
Forest made "simple" coconut milk! That must be a new product? I am
sure the same would happen with coconut milk from the refrigerator
too (as that too is very runny). However, it is VERY good to know
that a "pure" coconut milk exists. Thank you for sharing! But I am so
sorry the recipe didn't work =( If you try it again though, try it
with Thai Kitchen brand Organic coconut milk - that's the one I use
all the time.

Review: These sound like a good gluten free waffles to try. I just
bought a waffle maker and have been looking at sweet ones to make,
but need them to be gluten free for my little boy.

S(Internet address):
   https://cleancuisine.com/gluten-free-waffles/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 157 Calories; 6g Fat (32.9%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
55mg Cholesterol; 161mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0124