Baked Potato Buttermilk Biscuits

Sat, 25 Jun 2022 23:12:37 -0700
v122.n021.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Biscuits, Baked Potato Buttermilk

Recipe By     : Jonathan Melendez
Categories    : Biscuits/Scones                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted                          Potatoes

   1             medium  baking potato -- rinsed and dried
   2               cups  all-purpose flour
   1         tablespoon  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
   1           teaspoon  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  black pepper -- coarsely ground
   6        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- very cold, diced, plus
   2        Tablespoons  unsalted butter -- very cold, melted
      1/4           cup  Cheddar cheese -- white, shredded
   2        tablespoons  chives -- chopped
   1                cup  buttermilk

I have a love of potatoes that is unlike any other love. I grew up
eating them often as a kid - almost every day - so now I'm always
looking for new ways to incorporate this versatile vegetable into my
everyday life. There's just something so special about biscuits
loaded with shredded potatoes, cheddar cheese, and chives. I can't
put it into words, but I feel like I don't have to because you get
it. It's the baked potato you never knew you wanted . . . in biscuit form.

Active: 30 minutes
Total: 50 minutes

Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper,
and set aside.

Cook the potato in a microwave, an oven, or in boiling water until
almost fork-tender (see Cooks' Note). Let cool completely. Using a
paring knife, peel the potato, and then shred with a box grater.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking
soda, salt, and pepper. Add the cold butter and cut in using 2
knives, a pastry blender, potato masher, or your hands, until the
dough resembles coarse crumbs the size of peas. Fold in the cheese,
chives, and shredded potato.

Add the buttermilk and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough just
comes together. It'll be sticky, but don't panic. Transfer to a
well-floured work surface and knead a few times to smooth it out.
Fold the dough onto itself about 4 times, turning clockwise after
each fold. Pat the dough with your hands until it's about 3/4" thick.

Use a 2" round cookie or biscuit cutter to cut into rounds. Place the
biscuits on the prepared baking pan just barely touching each other.
Gather scraps and repeat patting and cutting (you should have 20).

Brush the biscuits with the melted butter, and bake until golden
brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool before serving. Store any leftovers
in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

Cooks' Note:
If you cook the potato all the way, it'll be really difficult to peel
and grate later on, so make sure to cook it just a bit shy of almost
done. I use the microwave to make it easy and fast.

Review: Tried to make these gluten free using Bob's Red Mill 1 for1.
Taste was good, but they didn't rise AT ALL. Baking soda and baking
powder were new, so that wasn't the problem. I added 2 cloves of
minced fresh garlic, used green onions instead of chives, and doubled
the cheddar cheese and ground black pepper. Not sure if the reason
they turned out like hockey pucks was because of the flour mix, but I
suspect that is the problem. I might try these again with a different flour.

Review: My family loves these. This recipe is a keeper! And they're a
perfect size for kids to handle and bake.

Review: I rated this one fork since I haven't made them. I will
access and assign proper forks when I get an answer for this
question: Would you recommend freezing before or after baking? I love
biscuits, but there are two of us and I'm not sharing ours if they're
as good as you say.

Review: Freezing or otherwise keeping dough or bread with a baking
powder leavener over any length of time will cause the baking powder
to dissipate. Cooked biscuits freeze beautifully! I have not made
this particular recipe as I question any kneading of the dough
because it will strengthen the glutin and make them tough.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/baked-potato-buttermilk-biscuits

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 105 Calories; 5g Fat (45.5%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
14mg Cholesterol; 219mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 1103