Fig Orange Swirled Bread

Sat, 15 Oct 2022 21:10:38 -0700
v122.n030.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Bread, Fig Orange Swirled

Recipe By     : buttermilkbysam
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Fruit                           Low Fat
                 Posted

                         Orange Milk Bread
   1                cup  milk -- whole
      1/3           cup  bread flour
   1         tablespoon  active dry yeast
      1/4           cup  water -- warm
      1/2    tablespoon  granulated sugar
   450            grams  bread flour
      1/3           cup  granulated sugar
   2              large  eggs
      1/4           cup  olive oil
                         Zest of 1 orange
                         Fig & Orange Filling
   1                cup  Dried Figs -- Sun-Maid Mission
      3/4          cups  orange juice
      1/2      teaspoon  cinnamon
   1              Pinch  salt

Soft milk bread challah, swirled with an orange and fig paste.

Make the filling: in a blender or food processor, blend the filling
ingredients until they form a paste. Set in the fridge until it's
time to shape the breads.

Make the bread:
In a small pot, combine the 1/3 cup flour and 1 cup milk. Cook on
medium for a few minutes, whisking constantly as it thickens and
becomes a paste. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.

Combine the yeast, water and 1/2 tablespoon sugar in a small bowl or
cup and let the yeast prove. It should rise and foam.

Add the rest of the dough ingredients to the stand mixer bowl along
with the yeast and fit it with the dough hook. Knead the dough on
medium for about 7 to 10 minutes. It should be sticky but a bit firm.
Transfer it to an oiled bowl and turn the dough a few times to cover
it in oil. Wrap the bowl in plastic wrap and set in the fridge overnight.

The next day, prepare two loaf pans with a light layer of oil and
some parchment paper.

Flour a countertop and turn the dough onto it. Halve it and roll each
half out to about 12x20 inches. You want the shorter side to be about
as long as your loaf pan. Spread some of the fig paste on the dough,
in a thin, even layer. Roll up the dough into a log and use
unflavored dental floss to slice the log into 3 inch long logs. Place
them, swirl side up into the loaf pan. Repeat with other dough.

Set loaves in the microwave or a warm dry place for a second rise.
They'll take about 60 to 75 minutes, depending on the temperature of
your kitchen. The loaves will have risen above the pan line and look puffy.

If the loaves were in the oven, remove them and preheat the oven to
375 F. Brush an eggwash on top of the loaves (1 egg mixed with 1
tablespoon of water) and cover with foil to form a 'tent' to prevent
them from overbrowning (but leave enough room at the top for the
loaves to grow without touching the foil). When the oven is ready,
place the loaves in and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, checking doneness
with a thermometer if possible (should register 190 F).

The loaves are best straight out of the oven, when warm. Store in an
airtight container. They can be rewarmed in the microwave.

Question:  450 grams of bread flour? Recipe says cups - so either 4
1/2 cups or 450 grams but I'm. It sure what is meant.
Reply: loool @ 450 cups! Fixed it now, it's in grams.

Question: Hi I just made the dough for this recipe and did not notice
an amount for salt in the dough, is this correct? I did add 3/4
teaspoon salt to mine.
Reply: I usually do about 1/2 teaspoon so yours should be good!

Question: What sizze loaf pans do I use for this bread? I can't wait to make it
Reply: Standard 9â?³ would do!

Question: Any way I can do this with fresh figs? This sounds phenomenal!

S(Internet address):
   https://buttermilkbysam.com/fig-orange-swirled-bread/#lt-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 217 Calories; 5g Fat (21.4%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 37g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
29mg Cholesterol; 27mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 1/2 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 1003