Kamut Bavarian Pretzel

Sun, 05 Mar 2023 21:39:43 -0800
v123.n006.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Pretzel, Kamut Bavarian

Recipe By     : Mila McKeown
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Crackers/Crisps/Pretzels
                 Fatfree                         Posted
                 Snacks

                         FOR THE SPONGE
   1                tsp  sugar -- White
   4                tsp  active dry yeast
   1 3/4           Cups  water -- Warm, between 100-110F
   4               Cups  water -- Hot, Note 1:, Note 2:
                         FOR THE BAKING SODA WASH
   4               Cups  water -- Hot, Note 3: Note 4:
      1/2           Cup  Baking Soda
                         FOR THE DOUGH
      1/4           cup  water -- 1/2 C, More warm, if needed
   1               tbsp  honey
   5               Cups  flour -- Kamut white
   1               tbsp  Canola Oil
   1 1/2            tsp  Fleur del Sel -- or French Gray Salt
      1/2           Cup  sugar -- White

Pretzel. What a fascinating bread. The intricate shape of it alone
makes me happy to look at it.
where I come from pretzel never was a thing but the first time I had
it I was hooked this was back in 99. I was 17.
even the hard tasteless kind is appealing to me. That's how much I
love pretzel but tasteless isn't the case with these kamut pretzels.
they are filled with flavor.

Note 1: as hot as you can get it out of the tap

Note 2: French Gray Salt as desired for sprinkling on the Pretzels

Note 3: as hot as you can get it out of the tap

Note 4: French Gray Salt as desired for sprinkling on the Pretzels

Prep: 1.5 Hours
Cook: 8 Minutes
Total: 1:38

In a small bowl put 1 teaspoon sugar. Add the yeast and 1 3/4 cups
warm water. Stir gently. Cover and let rise until foamy. About 10 minutes.

In a large bowl or the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer add: 5 cups white
Kamut, 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Blend well. Add the
yeast mixture, canola, and honey. Mix thoroughly. Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup
warm water to get the consistency of soft dough. Combine. Turn out
onto lightly floured surface and Knead by hand or knead in the mixer
for up to 7 minutes

Put a little olive oil in a large bowl and place the kneaded dough
into bowl. Cover with a dish towel and let rise 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 450F. Push the dough out onto the counter and cut
into 12 pieces. Roll each piece by hand about 20" long. Shape into a
Pretzel. Set aside on the counter. Continue shaping the dough into
Pretzels until you have 12 Pretzels.

Spray a baking sheet with oil. In a large bowl mix the hot water and
soda together. Mix until dissolved. Immediately dunk each pretzel
into the hot soda mixture. Place on greased baking sheet, sprinkle
with French Gray Salt as desired. Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes.

Serve right out of the oven or place on cooling rack to cool.

Tips: Serve with: Butter, Cinnamon and Sugar FN Alfredo sauce FN
Marinara sauce. Homemade cheese sauce Variations: Cut into pretzel
bites, before baking Sprinkle the Pretzels with freshly grated
Parmesan Cheese before baking. Add Pepperoni before baking. Dip in
garlic butter after baking

S(Internet address):
   https://www.foodtalkdaily.com/44318956/kamut-bavarian-pretzel-super-easy-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 243 Calories; 2g Fat (6.4%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 2791mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0107