Rosemary Garlic Pull Apart Bread

Sun, 05 Mar 2023 21:43:39 -0800
v123.n006.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                     Bread, Rosemary Garlic Pull Apart

Recipe By     : Sally
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Hand Made                       Posted
                 Stand Mixer

                         Dough
   2          teaspoons  Platinum Yeast -- Red Star
   1         Tablespoon  granulated sugar
      3/4           cup  milk -- whole, (180ml)
   3        Tablespoons  unsalted butter -- softened to room temp, (45g)
   1              large  egg
   2 1/3           cups  all-purpose flour -- plus more as needed, (300g)
   1           teaspoon  salt
   1           teaspoon  garlic powder
   1         Tablespoon  fresh rosemary -- finely chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried
                         Filling
   5        Tablespoons  unsalted butter -- extra soft, Note, (75g)
   1         Tablespoon  fresh rosemary -- finely chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried
   1         Tablespoon  fresh parsley -- finely chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried
   2                     garlic cloves -- minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/4      teaspoon  salt
      3/4           cup  Parmesan cheese -- shredded, mozzarella, or
white cheddar cheese, or your favorite shredded cheese, (95g)
                         Optional Topping
   1         Tablespoon  unsalted butter -- melted
                         sea salt -- flaky/coarse, for sprinkling

Starting from a simple rosemary-infused homemade dough, this rosemary
garlic pull apart bread is shaped and assembled with butter, garlic,
cheese, and herbs. Baked until golden brown and served pull-apart
style, this flaky and flavorful bread is completely irresistible.
Just wait until you smell it baking! Truly a favorite.

Prep: 3 hours
Cook: 50 minutes
Total: 4 hours

Make the dough: Place the yeast and sugar in the bowl of a stand
mixer fitted with a dough hook or paddle attachment. Or, if you do
not own a stand mixer, a regular large mixing bowl. Heat the milk on
the stove or in the microwave until warm to touch, about 110F (43C).
Pour warm milk on top of yeast/sugar. Whisk gently to combine, then
loosely cover with a clean kitchen towel and allow to sit for 5 to 10
minutes. The mixture will be frothy after 5 to 10 minutes.

If you do not have a mixer, you can mix the dough together with a
wooden spoon or rubber spatula in this step. Add the butter, egg,
flour, salt, garlic powder, and rosemary. Beat on low speed for 3
minutes. Dough will be soft. Transfer it to a lightly floured work
surface. Using lightly floured hands, knead it for 1 minute. If the
dough is too sticky to handle, add 1-3 more Tablespoons of flour, but
you want a very soft dough. Shape into a ball.

Place the dough in a greased bowl (I use nonstick spray to grease)
and cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Place in a slightly
warm environment to rise until doubled in size, around 60 to 90
minutes. (If desired, use my warm oven trick for rising. See my
answer to Where Should Dough Rise? in my Baking with Yeast Guide.)

As the dough rises, prepare the filling in the next step and grease a
9x5" loaf pan.

Make the filling: In a medium bowl, mix the soft butter, rosemary,
parsley, garlic, and salt together. If the butter is soft enough, you
can just mix it all together with a spoon or fork. You can use an
electric mixer if that's easier too. Cover tightly and set aside
until ready to use. (Don't refrigerate unless making well in advance.
It's easiest to spread on the dough when at room temperature. If
refrigerated, let it come to room temperature before spreading on
dough pieces.)

Assemble the bread: Punch down the dough to release the air. Place
dough on a lightly floured work surface. Divide it into 12 equal
pieces, each about 1/4 cup of dough and a little larger than a golf
ball. Using lightly floured hands, flatten each into a circle that's
about 4 inches in diameter. The circle doesn't have to be perfectly
round. I do not use a rolling pan to flatten, but you certainly can
if you want. Spread 1-2 teaspoons of filling mixture onto each.
Sprinkle each with 1 Tablespoon of cheese. Fold circles in half and
line in prepared baking pan, round side up.

Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and allow to rise once again
in a slightly warm environment until puffy, about 45 minutes.

Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position then preheat oven to
350F (177C).

Bake until golden brown, about 50 minutes. If you find the top of the
loaf is browning too quickly, tent with aluminum foil. (Don't be
alarmed if there's melted butter around the sides of the bread as it
bakes, it will seep into the bread before it finishes.) Remove from
the oven and place the pan on a wire rack. If desired, brush with
melted butter for topping and sprinkle with sea salt.

Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan and serve warm.

Cover and store leftovers at room temperature for up to 2 days or in
the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Since the bread is extra crispy on
the exterior, it will become a little hard after day 1. Reheat in a
300F (149C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes until interior is soft again or
warm in the microwave.

Notes:
Make Ahead Instructions: Freeze baked and cooled bread for up to 3
months. Thaw at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator and
warm in the oven to your liking. The dough can be prepared through
step 3, then after it has risen, punch it down to release the air,
cover it tightly, then place in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Continue with step 4. To freeze the dough, prepare it through step 3.
After it has risen, punch it down to release the air. Wrap in plastic
wrap and place in a freezer-friendly container for up to 3 months.
When ready to use, thaw the dough overnight in the refrigerator. Then
let the dough sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before
continuing with step 4. (You may need to punch it down again if it
has some air bubbles.)

Yeast: I always use Platinum Yeast by Red Star, an instant yeast. If
using active dry yeast, the rise times could be slightly longer.
Reference my Baking with Yeast Guide for answers to common yeast FAQs.

Flour: Feel free to use the same amount of bread flour instead of
all-purpose flour. You can also try swapping out 1 cup of flour for
whole wheat flour. Do not replace all of the flour with whole wheat
flour- just 1 cup.

Extra Soft Butter for Filling: Have you ever read my page about room
temperature butter? Room temperature butter for baking should still
be cool to the touch. You want room temperature butter for the dough.
However, for the filling, you want extra soft butter so you can
easily spread it onto the flattened dough without tearing the dough.
Feel free to microwave it for 10 to 15 seconds to help it get extra soft.

Question: Could you add chopped olives to the filling or would that be too wet?
Response: Chopped olives sound delicious. We recommend draining and
letting them sit on a paper towel or kitchen towel before using in the bread.

Review: Delicious bread and fun to make, on a dull day in Dublin, Ireland!

Question: I have a question for this. I'm a sourdough baker so yeast
is a bit confusing for me at times.

Can I make this the night before and let it slow rise in the fridge?
If yes, about how long should the rise be in the fridge instead of a
warm place for 45 mins? And should I bring it back to room temp
before baking? Unfortunately I don't have enough freezer space to
just make it completely ahead of time to freeze it and reheat it...

Thanks so much in advance!
Response: The dough can be prepared through step 3, then after it has
risen, punch it down to release the air, cover it tightly, then place
in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Continue with step 4. Happy baking!

S(Internet address):
   https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/rosemary-garlic-pull-apart-bread/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 141 Calories; 8g Fat (48.4%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
31mg Cholesterol; 221mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0113