Dutch Oven Herb Bread

Sun, 19 Mar 2023 21:30:12 -0700
v123.n007.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Dutch Oven Herb

Recipe By     : Annalise
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Posted

   1                cup  water -- warm, (250 ml)
   2 1/4      teaspoons  active dry yeast -- (1 envelope)
      1/2           cup  unsalted butter -- (113 g)
   1         tablespoon  fresh herbs -- heaping, chopped, (I used
rosemary, thyme, and sage)
   2          teaspoons  coarse salt -- plus more for sprinkling
   3               cups  bread flour -- (to 4C), (567 grams)
                         Olive oil

A rustic loaf of bread flavored with fresh herbs and baked in a dutch
oven. Crisp on the outside, soft and tender on the inside.

COOK: 1 HR
TOTAL: 3 HRS

Combine warm water and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes.

Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and add fresh
herbs. Let cool slightly.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine 2 cups
of the bread flour and salt. Add the yeast mixture and butter mixture
and mix until dough comes together. Add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a
time until dough clears the bowl and is just slightly sticky to the touch.

Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes with an electric
mixer and dough hook. You may also knead by hand, it will just take longer.

Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450F. Line a cast iron dutch oven with parchment
paper or grease with olive oil.

Punch down the dough and knead a few times by hand. Reshape and place
in the prepared dutch oven. Use a sharp knife to cut a fairly deep
"x" into the dough. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse
salt and more herbs.

Cover and let rise an additional 30 minutes.

Bake for 30 minutes with the lid of the dutch oven on. Remove the lid
and bake for an additional 15 to 30 minutes until loaf is browned.
Let cool completely before slicing.

NOTES: You can substitute all-purpose flour for the bread flour if
you'd like, but I highly recommend using bread flour if possible. It
yields a lighter texture.

Question: This looks delicious, but, alas, I do not own a cast iron
dutch oven. Can you please recommend an alternate baking pan? Thanks so much!
Response: Hi Jocelyn, you can bake it on a regular sheet pan instead,
you just won't have that crispy crust.

Review: I have made this bread twice and each time it came out
perfectly. Thank you for the recipe!

Question: What size Dutch oven do you use?
Response: I have used both a 6 and 8 quart.

Question: I don't have a stand mixer.  Can I mix by hand or use an
electric hand mixer?
Response: You can definitely mix by hand!

Review: I just made this bread for the third time. This time, I
replaced the butter with 1/2 cup of olive oil. WOW! Really good.
Thanks for the recipe.

Review: On my 3rd loaf, I tried substituting EVOO in place of the
butter. Very tasty variation. Thanks for the recipie.

Question: Can I replace the active dry with rapid rise yeast? If so
what other else's should I do to my bread?

Response: I believe you can replace with no problem. I often use Red
Star Yeast's "Quick Rise" yeast and make no other changes besides
shortening the first rise time to about 30ish minutes. I hope this helps!

Review: This bread is really good and easy to make. It's a touch
salty for my taste, so I'll reduce the amount next time. I'll
definitely make it again, though.

Source:
   "Joy the Baker"
S(Internet address):
   https://www.completelydelicious.com/dutch-oven-rustic-herb-loaf/

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 194 Calories; 8g Fat (38.5%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary
Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 317mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2
Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 2020 - 1218