Ciabatta Rolls

Sun, 02 Apr 2023 21:14:16 -0700
v123.n008.8
* Exported from MasterCook *

                              Rolls, Ciabatta

Recipe By     : King Arthur Flour Co
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Italian
                 Low Fat                         Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted

                         STARTER
   177                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (1 1/2C or 6 1/4 oz)
   227                g  cool water -- (1C or 8 oz)
     1/16      teaspoon  instant yeast
                         DOUGH
                         all of the starter -- from above
   2          teaspoons  instant yeast
   361                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (3C or 12 3/4 oz)
   2 1/4      teaspoons  salt
   14                 g  nonfat dry milk -- or Dry Milk (2 Tbsp or 1/2 oz)
   152                g  lukewarm water -- (2/3C or 5 3/8 oz)
   35                 g  olive oil -- (3 Tbsp or 1 1/4 oz)

Italy's light-textured ciabatta bread, with its overnight starter and
long rises, develops wonderful flavor. Translated to rolls, ciabatta
becomes the perfect vehicle for an overstuffed sandwich. Sturdy
enough to hold any filling, these flat rolls - they fit beautifully
in the toaster - are mostly crust, meaning you don't have a lot of
bread competing with the cheese, meat, and veggies.

PREP: 15 mins. to 25 mins.
BAKE: 18 mins. to 20 mins.
TOTAL: 12:33 to 18:45

To make the starter: Mix the starter ingredients in a small bowl
until well combined. Cover the starter and let it rest at room
temperature overnight, or for up to 15 hours. It will become bubbly.

Place all of the dough ingredients, including the starter, into the
bowl of your mixer, and beat at medium speed, using the flat beater,
for 7 minutes. The dough will be very smooth, soft, shiny, and
elastic. Alternatively, knead the dough ingredients in your bread
machine using the dough cycle.

Transfer the dough to a greased bowl or other rising container, cover
it, and let it rise for 2 hours. Give the dough a fold: Turn it out
onto a floured surface and, using a bowl scraper or bench knife, fold
it like a business letter. Turn the dough 90F. Gently flatten it a
bit, and repeat the letter fold. Return the dough to the bowl, cover,
and let it rise for another hour. Note: If you're using a bread
machine, simply allow it to rise for an additional hour after the
dough cycle has ended; there's no need to take it out and give it a fold.

Lightly grease your work surface, and two half-sheet baking pans (18"
x 13") or similar large baking sheets. Grease your hands, as well.

Turn the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly greased work surface.

Pat the dough into an 8" x 10" rectangle and cut it into 12 squares
(about 2 1/2" each).

Transfer the rolls to the baking sheets, leaving about 3" between them.

Lightly cover the rolls with heavily oiled plastic wrap or a proof
cover, and allow them to rise for 2 to 3 hours, or until they're
showing some signs of puffiness. Towards the end of the rising time,
preheat the oven to 425F.

Spritz the risen rolls with lukewarm water, and gently but firmly
dimple each one with your fingers, making fairly deep pockets. Note:
For extra-crusty crust, forgo spritzing the rolls with water and
instead add steam to your oven; for details see "tips," below.

Immediately place the rolls into the oven. Bake them until they're
golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and
cool on a rack.

Slice crosswise, and add your favorite fillings. Store any leftovers,
tightly wrapped, at room temperature. Rolls may be reheated just
before serving, if desired; tent lightly with foil, and heat for
about 8 minutes in a 350F oven.

TIPS: This recipe makes larger, sandwich-type rolls. For smaller
dinner rolls, divide the dough into 16 to 20 pieces.

For extra-crusty crust, add steam to your oven as follows: While the
oven is preheating, place an empty cast iron frying pan on the oven
rack below the stone. If possible, adjust stone and pan so that the
pan isn't directly under the stone, making it easier for steam to
reach the baking rolls. Once you've placed the rolls in the oven,
pour about 1 cup of boiling water into the cast iron frying pan.
Steam will billow from the pan upwards to envelop the baking rolls;
be sure to wear good oven mitts to shield your hands and arms.
Quickly close the oven door to trap the steam.

Review: I'll give you a 5 star. I have made a lot of bread but 1st
time With ciabatta bread. I Use a 100% whole wheat Flour and made it
as directed. It turned out so good. I cut them into smaller squares
so got 24 small rolls out of this to be used at a party. Thank you as
it was very easy to make and I'm going to make another starter
tonight to make more tomorrow.

Review: I wrote my first review of this recipe on 6/6/18, after
baking these ciabatta rolls for the first time. Since then, I've made
a batch nearly every week, with consistently outstanding results. I
still weigh in grams, but I'm experimenting a bit now. I substitute
100g of KAF's Organic White Whole Wheat Flour for about 100g KAF
Organic All-Purpose Flour. Sometimes I substitute some of my active
sourdough starter for some of the starter in the recipe. (My starter
is equal weight water and flour, so it's easy to calculate this
substitution.) I think both of these substitutions add a subtle
complexity to the final product. I have discovered a little trick for
poking the holes on the top: I butter the end of a wooden spoon and
poke the holes with that, rather than with my fingers. It's easier
for me to get consistently sized holes that way. (Hey, I like
"pretty", what can I say? We think these ciabatta rolls are the
perfect bread for sandwiches. The size and flavor are great, and they
don't fall apart, like some softer breads will. It's not unusual for
guests to remark that these are the best ciabatta rolls they've ever
tasted. Some ask for the recipe. Others are not bakers and ask me to
bake a batch of these rolls for them!Bottom line: We think this
recipe is a winner! Thanks again, KAF!

Review: Dough is easy to work with. Just follow instructions. I
weighed my dough and divided it by 12 then shaped and used 2
hamburger pans. I spritzed tops with water and sprinkled on some
sesame seeds. We are using these for individual muffulettas. They
came out looking professional. Can't wait for muffulettas. Enjoy. I did.

Review: Outstanding! These are delicious ciabatta rolls! I followed
the recipe exactly as written, using KAF ingredients, and weighing in
grams. I was rewarded with ciabatta rolls that turned out exactly as
the recipe described, with a great crust and delicious crumb. They
cooled just in time for us to make Italian sandwiches for our dinner
tonight, and we're looking forward to breakfast sandwiches tomorrow
morning. These yummy ciabatta won't last long, at our house! Thanks
to well-tested KAF recipes and KAF's quality ingredients I've learned
how incredible home-baked goods can be. The flavor and quality far
outshine anything one can buy at the store, or even at a bakery --
and so much less expensive, too! Another winner, KAF!

Review: Great rolls but also great pizza. Only 2 of us so wanted to
do 6 rolls. I refrigerated the other half of the dough and made a
pizza with it. Cooked it on parchment on a stone at 425. Baked for 3
minutes then added the topping and cooked for another 12 minutes or
so. It was great.

Review: I have made this recipe several times and it has always
turned out fine, that's why I keep making it again. But last night I
put the starter by the heater since the apartment was so cold and let
it rest for close to 15 hours instead of the usual 8. I also
substituded bread flour in the dough and accidentally oiled my hands
and counter more than usual. I did not adjust the water amount, as is
recommended when using higher gluten flour Fortunately, these turned
out to be the tastiest ciabatta rolls I have ever made. I am pretty
sure I can duplicate the results next time and I plan to make these
rolls for all types of sandwiches (bahn mi, tortas and Iralian-style.)

Review: I followed the recipe as written but used milk instead of
water as I had no powdered milk. I dissolved regular active dry yeast
( I have tons as I'm really into baking and bought a large container)
in the warmed milk before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. I
did a stretch and fold with each measure of dough when forming into
balls and patted olive oil on the tops of the discs to avoid having
to oil the plastic wrap. It worked well, no sticking during the
proofing period. Skipped the dimples, didn't like the spotted looking
crust. They came out perfect. I love these rolls. Will make them
again and again,,, and again!

Question: I followed recipe exactly except that I used bread flour
and adjusted water accordingly. The first and second rise went well.
The rolls didn't so much. They were hard to handle but I made them
smaller and baked as directed. They did not raise at all in the oven
and were very flat. They tasted delicious but I'd like to try again
and have a bit taller rolls. Where did I go wrong?
Response: These rolls are relatively flat and mostly crust by design.
That being said, if your rolls rose nicely once shaped, but then
collapsed in the oven, it may be that they were a bit over-proofed
and would benefit from going into the oven a bit earlier. To
troubleshoot more thoroughly, please give our Baker's Hotline a call.

Review: I needed a sandwich bread change for lunches at work and was
eager to try making these ciabatta rolls. This recipe exceeded my
expectations! Made the recipe exactly as printed and the ciabatta
rolls turned out fantastic. The taste is amazing. I love the crunchy
exterior and soft chewy interior.

Question: Baked these rolls today.Absolutely great taste, best rolls
I've eaten here (Thailand) for years.But like some people before,
I've found the dough difficult to handle, because it was very
wet/sticky.I know, some recipes call for a wet dough, but at least it
should be possible to form the rolls...But since I am living in the
tropes (almost 90% humidity today), shouldn't I generally reduce the
amount of liquids, by lets say 5%?
Response: You're spot on to note that ciabatta is made with a
wet/sticky dough to get the signature crumb and crust. Work with wet
hands to shape the dough or add enough flour to make the shaping
journey enjoyable rather than adjusting the liquids in the recipe.

Review: I loved this recipe! It's easy to make and my family is crazy
for these rolls, whether as dinner rolls or sandwich rolls. I highly
recommend this recipe.

Review: Made these Ciabatta Rolls today and I was thrilled with the
way they came out for my first time making them. Delicious for sure,
had to make a sandwich just as soon as they cooled. Great crumb, some
crunch and plenty of flavor. I wouldn't change a thing about this
recipe, it's a sure winner in my book.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ciabatta-rolls-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 195 Calories; 3g Fat (15.9%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
trace Cholesterol; 408mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES : 2019 - 0504