Seeded Sourdough Soda Bread

Sat, 22 Apr 2023 19:57:15 -0700
v123.n009.10
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, Seeded Sourdough Soda

Recipe By     :King Arethur Baking Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Grains                          Hand Made
                 Low Fat                         Posted

   2 1/2           cups  Flour -- Irish-Style Wholemeal, (276g)
   1 1/4           cups  All-Purpose Flour -- Unbleached, (149g)
      1/2           cup  Harvest Grains Blend -- Note 1:
   1           teaspoon  baking soda
      3/4      teaspoon  salt
   1                cup  sourdough starter -- Note 2:
   4        tablespoons  butter -- melted, (57g)
   3        tablespoons  honey -- (64g)
      3/4           cup  milk -- (170g)

Soda bread is one of our staples around St. Patrick's Day, and this
year we wanted to do something a little different. While we've always
loved our tried and true soda bread recipe, we've also embraced this
variation, which is chock full of our Harvest Grains Blend and has a
just a touch of background sourdough note.

Note 1: or other seeds and grains of your choice, (74g)

Note 2: ripe (fed) or discard, (227g)

PREP: 10 mins
BAKE: 30 to 40 mins
TOTAL: 40 mins
YIELD: Two 6" to 8" loaves

Preheat the oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it
with parchment.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, Harvest
Grains Blend, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate bowl (or in a measuring cup), whisk together the
starter, butter, honey, and milk. Pour this mixture into the dry
ingredients and stir to combine. The dough will be stiff; if it's too
crumbly to squeeze together, add another tablespoon or two of milk.

Knead the dough a couple of times to make sure it's holding together,
divide it in half, and shape each half into a ball. Flatten the balls
slightly, and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Use a sharp
knife to cut a 1/2"-deep cross, extending all the way to the edges,
atop each loaf.

Bake the loaves for 30 to 40 minutes, until they're golden brown and
a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove the loaves from the oven, and brush their tops with melted butter.

Tip:
  If you don't have our Irish-Style Wholemeal Flour, our Premium
Whole Wheat Flour is a good substitute.

Cal 180, Fat 5g, Carb 32g, Sod 190mg, Fiber 3g, Pro 5g

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/seeded-sourdough-soda-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 151 Calories; 4g Fat (21.2%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 26g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
9mg Cholesterol; 214mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2021 - 0912