Slicing the Bread

jefstone@juno.com (John E Firestone)
Mon, 05 Jan 1998 01:13:36 EST
v098.n002.9
Rodney3@juno.com writes about difficulties slicing his bread:   The
gadget you describe apparently has slots to guide the knife to make
uniform slices.  I haven't tried that, but I think that would forever
dictate the thickness of your bread slices.

We have a Montana adjustable Bread Knife, made in Italy.  It has a guide
which can be adjusted from paper thin up to 3/4 inch or more.  It not
only works on bread, but prepares beautiful uniform slices of (boneless)
ham and roast beef.  It is available from the Williams-Sonoma catalog
(1-800-541-2233) or from one of their franchise outlets (one of which is
located here in New Orleans.)  The price listed in my newest catalog is
$26.00.

The latest King Arthur catalog lists a similar adjustable bread knife
for $21.95.  It comes from Fiskars (like the scissors) of Madison, WI,
and boasts an offset handle and a manufacturer's lifetime warranty and
adjustability up to one inch.  You can reach King Arthur, request a
catalog, get on their mailing list, etc., at (1-800-827-6836).

Finally there is Betty Crocker, whose latest catalog illustrates  a NEW!
adjustable bread knife costing $29.95 in "real money" or $19.95 along
with 55 of her (coupon) points.  Her knife is available for either right
or left-handed bread bakers and is crafted of natural cherry wood.  Made
in USA, of course.  I can't find an 800 number for Betty Crocker, but you
can place credit card orders @ (612)479-4980 or FAX to (612)540-7432 or
talk to a friendly customer service rep @ (612)540-2212.

Hope this helps,
John Firestone, Sr.