Re: Fungi on the sour dough

dc@resilience.com (Don Charles Lundell)
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 10:03:36 -0800
v098.n007.17
>  I have been trying to
>  make a "pain au levain" using a recipe from a frech
>  edition of Linda Collister's "The Bread Book". I stop
>  always at the first step:
>
>  I mix 230g of flour with 250 ml of warm water, cover the bowl
>  with a wet cloth and let it stand by for 3 days, wetting the
>  cloth again every day.
>
>  - the dough sours all right;
>  - but in the second day I notice always
>  white spots of fungi growing on it.
>
>  Could someone tell me what is wrong or give me a tip?
>
>  Thank you very much
>
>  Paco Echalar
>  echalar@uninet.com.br

Pain au levain is usually made with a stiff starter (levain), not
really something that can be stirred.  Try not wetting the cloth;
the outside of the ball will dry out - just remove the crust as
you build it up.

Joe Ortiz had a *very* detailed levain procedure in hi "The Village
Baker", a great book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0898159164/1936-3837154-131835

- dc