Oatmeal Bread

ehgf@primenet.com (Ellen)
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 13:07:02 -0700 (MST)
v098.n008.11
Hi fellow Baking Buddies,

This recipe was posted on Kitmailbox by "ddmmom"(Gayle). Anything she
posts has to be good! I was intrigued because it called for only one
rising.  Although by itself, it was just a bit sweet for my taste,
when toasted or used in a sandwich, it was very nice indeed.

The following was a product of a whimsical mood...bread on the brain,
I guess!

                                                           Ellen aka Gormay

Oatmeal bread  2 loaves  TRAPP FAMILY LODGE

1/2 stick butter (1/4 cup olive oil)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 3/4 cup oatmeal(old fash)
2 1/2 cups hot water
2 1/4 oz yeast  (5 teaspoons)
5-6 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 t. salt
1 egg beaten lightly for brushing dough (a little water works fine)

In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, 1 1/2 cup oatmeal.  Stir in hot
water, stand until lukewarm.  Sprinkle yeast over and stand 5 minutes
until foamy.   Stir in 5 cups flour and salt, stirring until a dough
forms.  Knead about 10 minutes, adding no more than 1 cup flour as
necessary to form smooth and elastic dough, let rest covered with bowl
for 15 minutes.

Oil 2 pans, (9x5x3), form dough into loaves.  Brush surface with egg,
top with remaining oats.  Double on bulk.  1 hour+ -  .

Preheat oven to 375F.

Bake in middle of oven 45-50 minutes, or until browned and bottoms sound
hollow when tapped.  Turn out of pan, cool completely.

 All I Need To Know About Life I Learned From Baking (Sourdough) Bread

       1. Keep it (life) simple, but of the highest quality
                  (using good, basic ingredients )

       2. Feed and nurture yourself regularly
                  (maintaining the  starter)

       3. Allow yourself the time and space to develop fully
                  (making the dough)

       4. When the "heat" is on, rise to the occasion
                  (baking the bread)

       5. Give sustenance and pleasure to others
                  (sharing your bread)

   Remember: When life gives you a bread that won't rise, call it foccacia !

"Whenever you see food beautifully arranged on a plate, you know someone's
fingers have been all over it.".....Julia Child