So Many Dough Enhancers!

"Matthew D Ream" <Matthew.D.Ream@MCI.Com>
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 15:35 -0700 (MST)
v098.n010.5
I've been on this list a couple weeks now, and have seen a lot about
so-called Dough Enhancers in that time. I'm getting confused, though.
One person says just throw in a dash of lemon juice, another person
has a "simple" recipe with ginger, ascorbic acid and lecithin, and
someone else has a recipe with some ten or so ingredients. What's going
on?

I checked the King Arthur catalog, because they sell "Lora Brody's
Bread Enhancers." They list the following three ingredients: Vital
Wheat Gluten (strengthens structure, esp. with whole grain breads, allows
bread to rise higher), Ascorbic Acid (promotes yeast growth), and Diastatic
Malt Powder (gives finer texture, keeps bread fresh longer). They also
sell all three ingredients separately, along with Lecithin, which they
claim also helps bread stay moist longer.

Has anyone tried this one? Is it all just a matter of personal
preference?

King Arthur also sells a Lora Brody Bread Dough Relaxer, which they
say is great for breads you roll out, like pizza dough, etc. They don't
list what's in it, so does anyone know of anything that will "relax"
dough to make it easier to roll?

Thanks,

Matt