Amaranth and other flours

rprovanc@gmu.edu
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 19:37:56 -0800
v098.n012.9
Judith wrote to the Daily Bread list asking what to do with Amaranth
Flour.  In the first place, I have a recipe for Amaranth Oat Bread from
the Arrowhead Mills Amaranth flour box:

1 C oat flakes
2 C water
2 t salt (optional)

Bring the above to a boi, cook until thick and creamy.  Cool to room
temperature.

combine and let set until bubbly (10 minutes):

2 t yeast
1/2 c warm water
3 T honey
1/4 c vegetable oil

Combine all of the above and

1 C amaranth flour
4 C whole wheat flour

Knead, let rise for 1 1/2 hours.  Knead again, let rise second time,
punch down and form into loaves.  Let rise, bake at 350 degrees F for 60
minutes, until crust is golden brown and bread tests done.

Of course, that is a traditional, not bread machine recipe.

In the second place, one can replace part of the wheat flour with
amaranth flour in any recipe.  Try to use 1/4 amaranth flour, and see
what happens.  I use this method with lots of different ingredients,
just to see how they work!

Keep Baking!

Ruth