Containers for Sourdough Starter

Horace Bixby <bix3@cts.com>
Sun, 08 Mar 1998 15:53:57 -0800
v098.n022.7
A few days ago there was discussion regarding storage containers for
sourdough.  The preferred container if I recall correctly was either
glass or ceramic.  I would like to add another reliable container:
stainless steel.  I obtained ~pint-size stainless steel container from a
local Target store.  I created a starter from scratch using rye flour
from a local Henry's health food market.  The starter has been evolving
for weeks in the container with no ill effects.  I've made 2 excellent
tasting sourdough breads using the starter.  I believe the acids
produced by lactobacillus might be the reason for the caveat regarding
metal containers.  When processing tomatoes it is recommended to use
stainless over aluminum.  Again I believe acidity is the reason.
Stainless is resistant to mild acids with regard to cooking.  I also use
stainless in beermaking for the same reason- resistance to mild acids.
The stainless steel container for my starter was very inexpensive-less
than $8.00 and is unbreakable, easy to clean and can be either airtight
or not depending on whether I use the gasket that is installed around
the lid.  The lid remains attached and locks down with a simple latch.

Horace A. Bixby(BixMeister).

--
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
you.

      -- Mark Twain