making bread mixes: yeast or no?

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 07:51:32 -0500
v098.n033.1
> I've heard salt will kill the yeast if it comes in contact with it -
> maybe this is the reason?   I know salt is a necessary ingredient
> bread recipes (as a yeast inhibitor), so I doubt we'll find many
> bread recipes without it.
>
> I know the bread mixes you buy at the store package the yeast
> separately, too.
>
> Any other insight into this?

I'm afraid I missed some of the discussion in this thread, but I
think the question was whether one should include the yeast in making
a bread mix or not?  If so, I would suggest that yeast not be
included because it has an expiration date.  The mix ingredients
would generally not "expire" as quickly.  Yeast can have its life
prolonged if kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator or
freezer, whereas a person might choose not to keep their bread mix
under refrigerated conditions (although it wouldn't hurt at all, if
kept airtight -- might even keep it from getting rancid and keep any
buggies from hatching in the flour).

My $0.02...

Joan