Re: Digest bread-bakers.v098.n031

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 19:36:42 -0400
v098.n033.5
On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 07:57:28AM -0700,
bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com wrote:
> From: "Russell J. Fletcher" <gimplimp@teleport.com>
> Subject: Multigrain bread without white flour???
>
> I am pretty new at bread baking.  Is there a way to make
> multigrain and whole wheat bread without adding any
> white flour?
>
> I know someone that is on a special diet and cannot
> have white flour, but whole wheat and other
> grains are ok.
> TIA
> Russ

I occasionally make (by hand) a 100% whole wheat bread. The only white
flour in it is used during the kneading process, so it's quite a small
amount.

I dunno what a bread machine would do with such a recipe, but by hand
its not difficult. Just use a good stone-ground flour (such as King
Arthur which is what I happen to have) and be sure to knead, knead,
knead, knead. Since the brand particles in the whole wheat flour
interfere with gluten formation, I find that an extended period of
kneading is helpful. Done long enough and with a good flour I get
a loaf that rises just as well as white !

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------