Adding yeast to pre-mixed packages

Raphael Ryan <raphaelr@ix.netcom.com>
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 08:52:42 -0500
v098.n034.3
Hi Rod,

As I said in my message, I keep my pre-mixed packages in the
refrigerator, and the simplest way to measure and package -- if one is
concerned about keeping the salt and sugar away from the yeast -- is, of

course, to first put the measured amount of yeast in the bottom of
the package, then the flour, then the  sugar and salt on top before
closing the package. This way, when the package is dumped into the
breadmaker the yeast will be on top where it should be if you're using
the delay/timer method and you're instructed to put the water in first.
I've made hundreds of loaves of bread and can assure you that this
works. These loaves cannot be distinguished from ones where I add the
water, sugar and yeast to the breadmaker, let it sit for a few minutes,
and then add the dry ingredients and start the breadmaker immediately.

One is missing quite a lot of the beauty of a breadmaker if one does not

take advantage of its ability to have a perfect loaf of deliciously warm
and aromatic bread ready for breakfast - or for when you walk in the
house after a hard day at work!

I think the secret of bread making is realizing that yeast is so
wonderfully flexible!

Pretzels, bagels, croissants, Danish pastries were all 'invented' by
someone who was flexible and dared to 'try something new!'

Yeast can produce delightful batches of bread even though one batch of
wheat is quite different from another, and the humidity causes flour to
be sometimes dryer and sometimes wetter, and the size of eggs (if used)
are not consistent, and perhaps today's yeast had been in the freezer
for two years and yesterday's wasn't, and on and on.

It can even develop beautiful bread, whether kneaded in a machine or by
hand (it's the person that misses the therapeutic effects of hand
kneading when a machine is used) - but I use a machine because sometimes
that's the only way to have time for homemade bread.

Isn't bread making delightful, Rod? It can thrive on your 'consistency'
and my 'creativity' and be equally comfortable with both.

I tell my grandkids "There are a hundred 'right' ways to do almost
everything, so find what's 'right' for you and go to it!"

Raphael Ryan
Kansas City, MO USA (you asked where I was located)