Chicken coating mix

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 23:26:53 -0700
v098.n035.17
Judy asked me to send her a copy of the chicken coating mix from the
"More-With-Less Cookbook."  Okay, I will.  I also forgot to mention that
the cookbook can be purchased at or ordered through any
Christian/Religious bookstore.

Coating Mix for Oven-Fried Chicken

Makes 2 1/3 c. mix

Combine in a bowl:
	2 c. dry bread crumbs
	1 1/2 t. salt
	1 1/2 t. paprika
	1 t. celery salt
	1 t. onion salt
	1/4 t. pepper
	1 t. poultry seasoning (optional)
	1/4 c. vegetable oil

Blend ingredients with fork or pastry blender until well mixed.  Keeps
unrefrigerated in tightly covereed container.

When ready to use:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

put 1/2 c. coating mix in plastic or paper bag.  Moisten chicken pieces
with water or milk and shake one piece at a time in bag.  Add more mix
as needed.  Lay chicken skin-side up in greased pan and bake 1 hour or
until tender.  No turning needed.

Option:  Use for fish fillets.  Bake 30 min.

>From More-with-Less Cookbook, Doris Janzen Longacre, Copyright 1976 by
Herald Press, Scottdale, PA 15683

Ruth's notes:  I use celery seed and onion powder in place of the
flavored salts mentioned above.  It is plenty salty without them.  I mix
the salt and spices in my blender before adding them to the breadcrumbs
in an attempt to grind the celery seed.  I use this on skinless chicken
and it works just fine, and I don't usually grease the baking pan,
either.

My family's favorite chicken.

Ruth