a 100% whole wheat bread and baking mix

Gloriamarie Amalfitano <gma@adnc.com>
Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:23:24 -0700
v098.n035.20
Russ Fletcher asked:  I am pretty new at bread baking.  Is there a way to make
>> multigrain and whole wheat bread without adding any
>> white flour?   I know someone that is on a special diet and cannot
>> have white flour, but whole wheat and other
>> grains are ok.

I had posted this to the Daily Bread List. but am not sure if anyone saw it
other than I as I received 3 digests of Dail Bread where I was the only
poster!!

Yessirree, folks, I ****said**** I was having fun with this bread machine,
didn't I!!  And since necessity is the mother of invention and since I like
to make a virtue of a necessity and because I had these 4 pears that were
approaching overipe, i used those pears in a recipe....the Zojirushi (maybe
I'll give it a name....some Japanese name...unfortunately the only ones I
can think of are Tokyo Rose and that's defintely the wrong impression or
KoKo and Yum Yum and those names have been used in The Cat Who
series.....maybe I'll just call it Ethel).

I digress.  Ethel is churning away and here's what I put into the bread pan:

Spiced Pear, Date, Nut, Oat and Whole Wheat Bread by Gloriamarie

1 1/2 C pears, whirled to death into mush in the Cuisinart (ok ok, I pureed
4 pears)
1 T oil (what I had was cold expelled extra virgin olive oil)
1 T honey
4 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C oats
2 t vital wheat gluten
3 t yeast
1 t lemon zest
2 t cinnamon
2 t nutmeg
1/2 C chopped dates
2 oz bag chopped walnuts

My dates were whole with the pit in them, so i chopped them in the
Cuisinart.  ( And, yes, I did take out the pits first!!) What i did was to
sprinkle them with the cinnamon and nutmeg so they woldn't all stick
together on the blade.  I figured they were dusted enough and I put them on
the very top of the flour.  I am just not one to wait for the beep.  So in
about 4:10 hours, i should know if this worked or not.  I am aiming for a 2
lb loaf since my machine can handle that size.  This was predicated on the
need to either use the pears or watch 'em rot before I got them all eaten.
hence making a virtue of a necessity.

Was out and about today seeing the doctor about this strange dizziness I
have had for weeks and he referred me to a sadist in the lab....I have
never had it hurt when I had blood drawn.  i positively yelped when she
ramed that needle into my arm and the way it hurt as the blood filled the
tube, i was astounded.  So as a reward for not telling her in very vivid
and descriptive language what I thought of her lack of concern for a
patient,  and restraining myself to a mere " I can only hope someone is as
inconsiderate of you when you next have blood drawn", I went off to
Bookstar and had me a gander at THE BREAD MACHINE MAGIC BOOK OF HELPFUL
HINTS as recommended to me by Daby and written by Linda Rehberg (
apparently of this list, to my surprised!! But I suppose the rest of you
knew that already.  Oh, well, I am new to the list!!) and Lois Conway.  I
was stunned by a number of references to San Diego, where I reside in the
Land of Perfect Weather. I was also surprised to see a recipe by Jim Bodle
who was a regular poster on the Home hearth Food Digest and I mostly
remember him for his love affair with Spam (the so-called meat product, not
junk email).

So I sorta took bits and pieces of this recipe and that and aimed at an
overall right proportion of wet to dry and I'll let ya know later how it
came out.  Aren't I awful?  Publishing the recipe before I have any idea if
it's edible or not.  I am so conceited!!

It is days later and I ate that bread right up and it was delicious.  I
have to tell you, I would toast 2 slices for breakfast, which I eat late
because it makes me nauseous to eat early in the AM) and I would not feel
hunger until dinnertime.  It was sorta like eating a muffin, but without
all of the spooning and wash of muffin pans, which i dislike coz I am The
Lazy Cook.

Baking Mix
  I confess, I don't like to use alot of white flour, I prefer to use whole
grain, but being the Lazy Cook, I do use unbleached white flour because it
is just plain easier.  Here's a baking mix from the OAMC (Once a Month
Cooking) List that came from I thin, Better Homes and Gardens:

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

WHOLE GRAIN BAKING MIX from Better Homes and Gardens

Recipe By:
Serving Size:	1
Preparation Time:	0:00
Categories:	OAMC	Homemade substitutions

Amount	Measure	Ingredient	Preparation Method
2	cups	all-purpose flour
2	cups	whole wheat flour
3/4	cups	dry milk powder
1/2	cup	rolled oats
1/2	cup	cornmeal
1	cup	Crisco (See notes below)
1	tsp	salt

Mix all ingredients together.  Makes 8 cups of mix.  Store in air-tight
container.

Biscuits:  3 cups mix, 1 cup water.  Mix well.  Divide into 16 biscuits.
Use greased baking sheet and bake at 425 for 10-12 minutes.  (Recipe may be
halved)

Pizza crust:  1 Tbsp yeast, dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water.  Add 2  1/4
cups mix.  Knead on floured surface.  Let rise 10 minutes.  Spread on
greased pizza pan sprinkled with cornmeal.  Bake at 425 for 10 minutes,
then add sauce and toppings of choice.  Return to oven and bake until hot
and the cheese is melted.

**NOTES:  You can substitute and use ALL whole wheat flour.

About Crisco, I despise it, all those hydrongebated and saturated
fats...*yuch*,
so I use butter, but I have to store it in the fridge.   I have used
with cup for cup for Bisquick and it turns out pretty well.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 2226 Calories; 11g Fat (4% calories
from fat); 73g Protein; 466g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2153mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 30 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1 1/2 Fat
_____

--
Gloriamarie, writing to you from San Diego, celebrating the Return of
Perfect Weather.  Come and enjoy it with me!!

"The moral is, build up that stash. You never know when you're
going to need to knit a scarf for the Dalai Lama." Jean Miles, Edinburgh
mailto:gma@adnc.com