Almost white bread

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Tue, 26 May 1998 11:29:40 -0700
v098.n041.3
User 103054 on one of the bread lists to which I belong asked for a
simple white bread recipe to be made by hand.  First of all, most
general cookbooks, like "Joy of Cooking," "The Betty Crocker Cookbook,"
and a bunch of others, have a traditional white bread recipe, with
detailed instructions.  I suggest you try one of them, or the following
recipe, which I have been developing and fine-tuning for years.  I
figure is is time to share the recipe with the world!

Ruth's Almost White Bread

This can be considered a simplified version of "Ruth's Daily Bread,"
http://www.upword.com/bread/daily.html  using ingredients that the
average home cook should either already have at home, or can easily get
at a local market (except perhaps the optional ingredients, which I want
to stress are optional).

Combine and heat in microwave on high for 2 minutes or on the stove
until the shortening/butter melts:  (should be very warm, but cool
enough to hold one's finger in the liquid)

2 1/4 c water
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c shortening, butter, or margarine

Combine in mixing bowl:

1 c oatmeal (old-fasioned or quick-cooking)
2 t salt
1 T or one package of active dry yeast
3 c all-purpose or bread flour
1 c dry milk
and optional ingredients (if you don't have them, leave them out and add
more flour in the kneading):
1/4 c each oat bran, wheat bran, wheat germ, vital wheat gluten (may use
one, some, or all)

Add hot water mixture to flour mixture and beat thoroughly.

Gradually add more flour until dough is kneadable (about 3 c).  (Total
amount of flour is about 6 1/2 cups).

Knead on well-floured surface until dough is not sticky but still a
little tacky.  Let rise in covered greased bowl in warm place until
double.  Punch down, form into two (2) loaves and place in greased bread
pans (9" x 5" or 8"x 4"), and let rise, covered, until double again.

Uncover, place in oven and set oven for 350 degrees F.  Bake for 35 to
45 minutes until golden brown, loaves sound hollow when tapped, and/or
the internal temperature of the bread on an instant-read thermometer is
200 degrees F.  If tops of loaves brown too fast, tent them loosely with
aluminum foil.  Remove from pans when done and let cool completely on a
wire rack.

Slice, eat and enjoy!

Option for this bread:  Decrease water to 1 3/4 cups and add 2 eggs,
lightly beaten, when combining the liquid and dry ingredients.  You may
need to adjust the amount of flour to get the right texture.

For a more detailed discussion of my philosophy of bread-baking, see
"Ruth's Daily Bread:" http://www.upword.com/bread/daily.html

For questions or comments, e-mail me at rprovanc@gmu.edu.

Keep baking bread!

Ruth