Recent Bread Digest Questions

BreadMagician@prodigy.com ( LINDA REHBERG)
Tue, 26 May 1998 22:55:22, -0500
v098.n041.12
To: Pam Archer
Subject: Sweet dough swirl question

Pam,

We're back from Mexico and I now have some time to address your
questions about the Swirl Bread recipe I posted.  You wrote:  <<< I
used a filling of brown sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, and raisens that I've
used in a quick bread. The bread turned out tasty, but a lot of the
filling concentrated on the bottom, especially the raisens.  Also, it
didn't rise all that well (I used bread flour)>>>
The dough needs to be worked quickly (because you're losing rising
time the longer you work with it, unless you have a machine with a
"Pause" cycle.)  It should be rolled into a rectangle and the filling
evenly distributed over it and slightly pressed into the dough.  Then
it's important to roll it up tightly and seal all edges well,
including the ends.  Quickly coil it back into the machine.  It's
also important to close the lid while working with the dough to keep
any heat from escaping.  I don't recall which sweet roll recipe I
posted but if you try it again and find it still doesn't rise well,
try "lightening it up" a bit by reducing the sugar and fat.  If you
have a machine with a short final rising cycle, you may need a
"lighter" dough that will rise faster or switch to whole wheat which
has a longer rising cycle.

Linda Rehberg
www.breadmachinemagic.com