Re: Biscuits

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Sun, 31 May 1998 07:07:37 -0400
v098.n043.1
Cindy -

These are the only ones I ever make anymore; very easy and delicious.

Enjoy!

---
Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net
Southampton County, Virginia, USA

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    Biscuits - Quick Feathery Southern

Recipe By     : Richmond Times-Dispatch
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads                           To/From Daily Bread
                To/From Eat-L

   2      cups          self-rising flour
     1/4  cup           shortening
     1/2  cup           whole milk -- or buttermilk , (up
                        -- to 3/4)

Preheat oven to 500F.

Place flour in a medium bowl. Add shortening and using pastry blender or two
knives,  cut in until consistency of coarse crumbs.  With a fork,  blend in
just enough milk until dough leaves sides of bowl.

Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 10 to 12 strokes.  Roll dough
out 1/2-inch thick. Shape with 2-inch cutter. Bake on ungreased baking sheet
(place biscuits 1-inch apart for crusty sides or almost touching for soft
sides) until golden,  8 to 10 minutes.

Variations:  Increase milk to 1 cup.  Drop biscuits by tablespoon onto greased
baking sheet or fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full.