Re: Need KA tips

TaktEZ@aol.com
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 22:45:34 EDT
v098.n052.3
In a message dated Tue, Jun 30, you write:

<< I recall reading on this list that when using a KA mixer for bread, it's
good
 to have the dough a bit sticky since otherwise one runs the risk of a door
 stop.  I don't have an ABM and am using my new KA to knead bread.  I am using
 some of the ABM recipes that have been posted and notice that I am having to
 add a lot more flour than the recipes call for; for example, I made the
garlic
 herb bread and probably added 2 more cups (I thought it turned out well), and
 I have the cottage cheese dill bread coming out of the oven right now--I
added
 at least 1 more than the 3 cups of flour called for, but the dough was still
 pretty sticky.  How does one tell how much flour is right?  I'd rather let
the
 KA do the work--but I want good bread!

Hi Helen

Yes, any ABM recipe can be made can be made using your KitchenAid mixer with
virtually no changes to the recipe and the results will be at least as good or
better than with the ABM.  You might want to make a few minor adjustments as
you go along but no major changes are necessary.

In your post you said, "I recall reading on this list that when using a KA
mixer for bread, it's good  to have the dough a bit sticky since otherwise one
runs the risk of a door  stop."  Actually, it should be more tacky than
sticky.  In my vernacular, sticky tends to be more on the moist side than
tacky.  Your dough definitely should NOT feel wet.  When you touch the dough
with your fingers they should adhere just ever so slightly.  Don't be afraid
of making a door stop.  It's not that easy to do, and when it happens, just
remember, we all do it from time to time.  Our mistakes help us learn to
become better bakers

You asked, "How does one tell how much flour is right?"  A good rule of thumb
to is as follows:  When making yeast bread there is a fairly well defined
ratio of flour to liquid required regardless of what bread you are baking.
That ratio is three cups of flour to each one cup of liquid.  The term liquid
refers to the total of all water, milk, eggs, (which are the equivalent of 1/4
scant cup each) fruit juice, and any other liquid you add.  Remember, mashed
potatoes, applesauce, cottage cheese and other such items also contain water
and and must be compensated for.  These last items however,  are a bit more
complicated to account for because we don't know exactly how much water each
contains and some experimentation will be required on your part.  Also, when
calculating your total liquid amount, do not count the fat, or very high
viscosity items such as molasses, corn syrup, honey, sorghum etc.

There are also certain circumstances that will slightly vary the ratio of
flour to water.  The ratio will vary depending on the kind of flour you are
using.  For example, a high gluten flour will absorb more water than will all
purpose flour therefore use less water when baking with all purpose flour.   A
slack dough will require more water that a stiff dough.  On humid days your
flour will have absorbed more water from the atmosphere than on a dry day thus
slightly less water will be needed on humid days.  In all cases, we're talking
small amounts though, not as much as one or two cups of flour at a time as you
indicated.

All of this means that you will still have to make some compensation by adding
either water or flour as you are kneading your dough but we're talking very
minor additions.  It you are working up the dough for a three cup of flour
recipe you should add flour at the rate of about one tablespoon at a time
kneading it in thoroughly before adding another.  If you need to add water add
it at the rate of about one teaspoon at a time, again kneading it in
thoroughly before adding more.

Actually, I think you answered your own question in your last sentence when
you said, "I'd rather let the  KA do the work--."  Do just that.  About the
time you decide to add more flour---, don't.  Let the machine work a little
longer maybe three of four more minutes.  If the dough still hasn't become a
smooth ball by then begin slowly adding more flour or water as needed.  It's
not that easy to over knead dough with the KA mixer so please don't worry
about that.  In fact, the instructions in the KA owners manual are almost a
sure formula for failure because they indicate adding flour much sooner in the
process than is really necessary.

I noted on your post that you were in the process of baking a loaf of cottage
cheese dill bread.  My advice to you would be to try mastering a somewhat less
complex, more predictable bread before attacking the specialty stuff.  Try
baking a loaf of basic white bread.  Experiment with that until you get the
hang of it then spread your wings and fly.

In a post several weeks ago Ruth Provance said, "It's very easy to knead too
much flour into your dough using a KitchenAid mixer."  Truer words were never
spoken.  Add flour or water in small amounts.

Helen, I hope this helps.  If you have any questions about what I have
written, shoot me an e-mail.

Happy Baking!

Don