Re: bread by hand/mixer vs ABMs + recipes

JusNeedlin@aol.com
Sun, 9 Aug 1998 11:28:18 EDT
v098.n057.19
<<Call me a curmudgeon, but I can't believe that someone addicted
to bread making would buy a bread machine. Of course if one has
a disability and lots of money, that's a different story. And I
can see someone becoming addicted to breadmaking with a machine
and moving on. >>

Personally, it has always intrigued me why some people look down upon
bread machines. No, I don't have a disability & no, I don't have a lot of
money. And yes, I did knead my own bread at one time (by hand, mind you,
not by
a mixer). However, I do love my bread machine for various reasons.

First, like many people, I tend to be busy especially during the school
months. I can start a loaf of bread when my DH leaves for work & it's done
when my son is ready to leave for school. Other than adding the ingredients
I don't have
to fuss with it. I'm then free to get other things done during that time &
I have a
fresh loaf of bread ready for dinner.

Secondly, I can have more variety. If I do it by hand, I tend to make several
loaves at the same time. Since the ABM is basically no fuss, I may make a
whole
wheat one day & maybe a sweet potato bread the next day. My family gets
more variety, which they enjoy & that's what baking bread is all about in my
book.

<<Considering how to spend a couple hundred bucks (actually
closer to $300) on a bread related appliance, I would opt for a
large Kitchen Aid mixer. Can your bread machine whip 16 egg
whites for an angel food cake or whip 1/4 cup cream for whipped
cream? The KA mixer can.>>

I didn't spend anyways near $300 on my machine. I've had it for over
3 years & it's the most-used appliance in my kitchen (other than the stove,
of course). You don't have to have an ABM that has all the bells & whistles. I
also have a Kitchen Aid, which I like for other things but I wouldn't trade my
ABM for baking bread.

It doesn't matter if you knead bread by hand, mixer or ABM. The point is that
you're making homeade bread, which is more nutritious & tastier than store-
bought. Now that I'm off my soapbox, here are 2 recipes to enjoy. One is for
the ABM & the other to knead by hand or mixer.

Lavon

This smells wonderful while baking. I've tried numerous apple breads & this
is my family's favorite.

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                          Johnny Appleseed Bread

Recipe By     : Bread Machine Magic by Linda Rehberg & Lois Conway
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

     1/2  cup           apple juice
     1/2  cup           unsweetened applesauce
   3      cups          bread flour
   1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
   1 1/2  tablespoons   butter or margarine
   3      tablespoons   brown sugar
     1/2  cup           granny Smith apple -- peeled & chopped
     1/4  cup           raisins
     1/2  teaspoon      ground cinnamon
          pinch         ground nutmeg
   1 1/2  teaspoons     yeast

Place all ingredients in bread pan & select light crust setting.
(Fruit & nut cycle works well too).

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Very tasty. You don't have to use sweet potatoes. I've used leftover pumpkin
or winter squash in this recipe & they're still good.

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                            Sweet Potato Rolls

Recipe By     : A Trim & Terrific Louisiana Kitchen/ Holly Clegg
Serving Size  : 24   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads

   1      cup           sweet potatoes, mashed
   3      tablespoons   light margarine -- melted
   1      package       yeast -- rapid rise
   1 1/4  cups          warm water -- 110-115 degrees
   1      large         egg
   1      teaspoon      salt
   3      tablespoons   sugar
   5      cups          flour

Blend potatoes with melted margarine. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup
warm water. Combine potatoes with egg, salt, sugar & yeast
mixture. Add flour alternately with remaining 3/4 cup water, mixing
until well combined. Turn onto a well floured board & knead.
Place in a bowl coated with Pam. Cover & allow to rise 1 hour in
a warm place. Divide dough into 24 pieces & form into rolls.
Place on a baking sheet coated with Pam & let rise in a warm place
for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. bake at 425F for 15-20 minutes.