Slicing and slicers

Ritterhaus@aol.com
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 15:27:42 EDT
v098.n061.19
I'd like to make some comments regarding knives and slicing bread:  In our
experience, we have found serrated knives to slice best, BUT, cheaper knives
tend to have large serrations on only one side of the blade, and when slicing
these knives "wander," therefore the slices tend to become thicker or thinner
than when you started.  I do have an excellent knife, a Cutco slicer about 10"
long, that is absolutely supreme.  I believe it has been mentioned on this
list before.  Yes, it is very expensive, a friend was enamored of mine and
bought one a couple of years ago and I think it was around $75.  I have had
mine nearly 25 years and it still sharp and  slices like it was new.  Of
course, you DO have to cut straight, but this knife helps you to do so.

Jean