Flax seed Bread

"Jo in Minnesota" <josiem@tekstar.com>
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 14:53:41 -0500
v098.n066.1
I'm responding to Yvonne and her question about flax seeds
in bread.  I have an excellent recipe that came out of a
Prevention magazine which suggests the addition of flax
seeds will help lower cholestrol.  I don't know about that
but I do know it makes a delicious, moist, loaf of whole
wheat bread that is a good keeper.

You can buy whole flax seeds at most Health Food Stores,
take them home, grind them in a blender or small
coffee-type grinder.  You want them like a corn meal
consistency, then
put into container and keep them in the freezer.  Don't
leave the ground seeds sitting out or they will loose their
pizazz I am told.  The ground seeds can also be added to
oatmeal, or other cereals for additional nutrition.   There
is also a way to soak the seeds in water,
getting a thick, egg-whitey sort of liquid which you can
use as an egg substitute.  I don't do this because I don't
like the glop, but many people do it.  As long as the seeds
aren't ground, they can sit in your pantry with no
detriment to the quality, but I keep all mine in the
freezer.

Prevention Flaxseed Bread

1 1/2tsp active dry yeast
2 Tbsp + 1 1/4 cups warm water
3 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup flaxseed meal (using blender or coffee mill to grind
seeds to
the consistency of cornmeal; usually 2/3 cup flaxseed = 1
cup meal)
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 3/4 c. bread flour

I use my bread machine for this loaf and it always works
well.  If you don't have a bread machine, just use the
recipe as you would for any loaf, proofing the yeast,
adding honey,
oil and salt and water, then incorporate the flax and
flour, kneading into soft dough,  Knead for 10 minutes and
round up into bowl, allow a raise, punch down and place in
bread pan.
Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

I also have developed a good muffin recipe using flax
seeds, some soy flour and other good things.  If you would
like the recipe, post me and ask for it.

Jo in Minnesota, where we grow Flax!