Irish Whole Wheat Soda Bread

"Ellen C." <ellen@elekta.com>
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 12:00:05 -0400
v098.n066.7
Well, I decided to have bread with dinner, but it was too late in the day to
make a yeast bread, and I remembered seeing Jacques Pepin make a soda bread and
it only took an hour. So, I searched and found the following recipe.

Having never made nor eaten Irish Soda Bread (to my knowledge), I didn't really
know what to expect. The directions say to knead a couple of times after mixing
all the ingredients, but this was more like a brownie batter than a bread
dough! I tried to knead it, but it was a ridiculous effort, even after adding
almost another 1/2 cup of flour.  I ended up using a wooden spoon to scrape the
batter up and mound it onto a baking sheet.

The bread didn't rise much and it's basically a flat disc, about 1 - 1 1/2
inches high. I also could have let it bake a little longer as it is slightly
goey in the middle. But the taste is wonderful!

So, tell me, is a "very" wet dough typical for soda breads? And what would a
perfect loaf of soda bread be like?

Thanks, and here is the recipe.

Ellen C.
<ellen@elekta.com>

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook Mac  *

                     Irish Whole Wheat Soda Bread

Recipe By     : Local Paper (posted to Fatfree Mailing List 1995)

   3      cups          whole wheat flour -- preferably stone
                        ground
   1      cup           all-purpose flour -- plus extra for
                        working dough
   1 1/2  tsp           salt
   1 1/2  tsp           baking soda
   1      cup           old fashioned rolled oats
   2      cups          buttermilk
   2      tblsp         dark molasses -- or black treacle

Thoroughly combine ww and all-purpose flours, baking soda and salt in large
bowl. Stir in oats and make well in center.

Combine buttermilk and molasses in separate bowl. Pour mixture into flour well
and gradually work into flour with fingers or spoon.

Knead dough lightly 3 or 4 times on floured surface and divide in half.
Shape into 2 round loaves, each about 5-inch in diameter. With sharp knife,
score loaves with cross slash, cutting 1 inch deep.

Place loaves on ungreased baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees 15 minutes, then
reduce heat and continue to bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until loaves are
brown on top and sound hollow when tapped on bottom. Cool at least 5 minutes on
cooling rack. Loaves can be baked several hours ahead and reheated in low oven.
Cut into thick or thin wedges. Serve warm or at room tempature.

Makes 2 loaves, 8 servings each.

>From:    "Acox, Christine" <Christine.Acox@WellsFargo.COM>

NOTES : This version, flavored with old-fashioned rolled oats and dark
molasses, is similar to the soda bread served at Ballymaloe House in County
Cork, Ireland.  Bake the bread early in the day and reheat it just before the
guests arrive. [Cox]

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 4776 0 0
_____

--