Cinnamon bread

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 08:08:35 -0500
v098.n070.14
> About a month ago my computer crashed and I lost every single one of
> my bread recipes.  I'm looking for a MOIST cinnamon raisin bread
> (maybe with some walnuts?).  I'm using a WestBend machine (makes 1
> 1/2 pound loaves), but I'm not sure if that matters or not.  ANY help
> would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a bread machine, but I have several bread recipes which fit
into the general category you described, some with cinnamon and raisins,
others with nuts, etc.  They are posted on my recipe Web page
(http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/recipes.html), but I will copy
the ones I think fit your description best here.  I also included another
one that is delicious and you might like, too:  Nutty Orange Whole Wheat
Bread.

Enjoy,
Joan
Email:  joanm@bigfoot.com
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/index.html

Cinnamon-Raisin Bread (for KitchenAid)
--------------------------------------

Yield:  2 standard-sized loaves (using loaf pans)
	or 6-8 buns

4 c. bread flour
2 c. whole-wheat flour
2 T. vital wheat gluten
1/2 c. powdered milk
1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
1 T. salt
6 T. ground cinnamon (or more if you like the taste)
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

4 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into pieces (or use soft shortening)
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)

1 egg
2 c. lukewarm water minus 2 Tbsp.
2 Tbsp. lemon juice

1 to 1-1/2 c. raisins (may use sultanas, currants, regular, or golden
raisins)

3 T. unsalted butter

With standard mixing attachment, thoroughly combine all dry ingredients
except yeast into large mixing bowl.  Add butter (or shortening) and
combine.  Add yeast and combine thoroughly.  Add water, lemon juice, and
egg; mix only until dough starts to form a ball and mixer begins to labor
a bit -- approximately 10-20 seconds.

Attach dough hook to mixer and knead dough for approximately 9-10 minutes.
Add raisins in 1/2-cup increments during last 4-5 minutes of kneading.

Remove dough to greased glass container; cover loosely with tea towel or
plastic wrap.  Set in a warm, draft-free location until doubled in bulk;
punch down.  Repeat for second rising.

Punch down dough; divide into two equal-sized pieces.  Form into loaves
and place in lightly greased (I use Pam cooking spray) loaf pans.  Cover
loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap; place in warm, draft-free location
until dough reaches the top of the loaf pans.

Preheat oven to 400F while dough is rising in loaf pans.

Turn heat down to 375 (or 325 if using convection); immediately uncover
loaves and place into oven for 35 minutes.  Remove loaves from pans and
place back into oven, baking for approximately 10-15 additional minutes,
or until crusts are nicely browned and loaves test done.  Remove to
cooling racks.  As soon as loaves are removed from oven, melt butter over
low heat and brush lightly over crusts for softer crust.

Allow loaves to cool for at least 60 minutes before slicing.  If freezing
loaves for later use, cool thoroughly (about 2 hours).

This recipe yields an extremely fluffy, airy loaf with a very pleasant
texture which is perfect for making raisin toast.

---------------------------

VARIATION:  this dough makes wonderful cinnamon-raisin buns.  After second
rising, divide dough into 6-8 balls and place on lightly greased baking
sheet.  Let rise; bake as indicated, but reduce baking time (this will
vary slightly depending on size of buns).  Remove from oven when buns are
lightly browned and test done by tapping on the bottom with a forefinger
(you should hear a hollow "thunk").

Nutty Orange Wheat Bread (for KitchenAid)

Yield:  2 standard-sized loaves (using loaf pans)

4 to 4-1/2 c. bread flour
3-1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
2 T. vital wheat gluten
1 T. grated orange peel
1-1/2 t. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)
2 c. lukewarm milk
1/2 c. lukewarm water minus 2 Tbsp.
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1-1/2 to 2 c. chopped walnuts, roasted
3 T. unsalted butter

With standard mixing attachment, thoroughly combine first five ingredients
into large mixing bowl.  Add yeast and combine thoroughly.  Add liquids
and mix only until dough starts to form a ball -- approximately 10-20
seconds.

Attach dough hook to mixer and knead dough for approximately 7-9 minutes,
adding walnuts midway through the kneading process.  Remove dough to
greased glass container; cover loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap.
Set in a warm, draft-free location until doubled in bulk; punch down.
Repeat.

Punch down dough; divide into two equal-sized pieces.  Form into loaves
and place in lightly greased (I use Pam cooking spray) loaf pans.  Cover
loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap; place in warm, draft-free location
until dough reaches the top of the loaf pans.

Preheat oven to 500F while dough is rising in loaf pans.

Turn heat down to 375 (or 350 if using convection); immediately uncover
loaves and place into oven for 25 minutes.  Remove loaves from pans and
place back into oven, baking for approximately 15-20 additional minutes,
or until crusts are nicely browned and loaves test done.  Remove to
cooling racks.  As soon as loaves are removed from oven, melt butter over
low heat and brush lightly over crusts for softer crust.

Allow loaves to cool for at least 60 minutes before slicing.  If freezing
loaves for later use, cool thoroughly (about 2 hours).

Cinnamon-Pecan Bread (for KitchenAid)
-------------------------------------

Yield:  2 oval loaves -or- 8-10 buns

6-1/2 c. bread flour
2 T. vital wheat gluten
1/2 c. powdered milk
1/4 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
2 t. salt
4-1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

4 Tbsp. softened butter, or butter-flavor soft shortening
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast (I use rapid-rise)
3/4 to 1 c. chopped pecans
1/4 c. cracked flax seed (optional)

2-1/4 c. lukewarm water

With standard mixing attachment, thoroughly combine all dry ingredients
except yeast into large mixing bowl.  Add butter (or shortening) and
combine.  Add yeast, nuts, and seeds (optional); combine thoroughly.  Add
water; mix only until dough starts to form a ball and mixer begins to
labor a bit -- approximately 10-20 seconds.

Attach dough hook to mixer and knead dough for approximately 9-10 minutes.

Remove dough to greased glass container; cover loosely with tea towel or
plastic wrap.  Set in a warm, draft-free location until doubled in bulk;
punch down.  Repeat for second rising.

Punch down dough; divide into two equal-sized pieces.  Form into oval
loaves and place on lightly greased (I use Pam cooking spray) baking
sheets.  Cover loosely with tea towel or plastic wrap; place in warm,
draft-free location until loaves have almost doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 400F while dough is rising in loaf pans.

Turn heat down to 375 (or 325 if using convection); immediately uncover
loaves and place into oven for 35-40 minutes, or until crusts are nicely
browned and loaves test done.  Remove to cooling racks.  As soon as loaves
are removed from oven, melt butter over low heat and brush lightly over
crusts for softer crust.

Allow loaves to cool for at least 60 minutes before slicing.  If freezing
loaves for later use, cool thoroughly (about 2 hours).

VARIATION:  this dough makes wonderful cinnamon-pecan buns.  After second
rising, divide dough into 8-10 balls and place on lightly greased baking