Thanks for alternative spreads

"Robert Bursey" <rbursey@arrowsmith.net>
Sat, 24 Oct 1998 19:40:26 -0700
v098.n073.2
I received several suggestions for alternative to butter. So far, I have =
tried the one that looked the easiest. It was Max Prola's, which was to =
mix butter with an equal volume of vegetable oil.

I am very happy with the results. I use canola oil since it is the =
lowest in saturated fat. That's also what I add to the bread when =
baking. In addition to reducing saturated fats by (almost) 50%, there =
would also be a reduction in salt. Most butter is salted. If you have =
ever tasted the unsalted variety, you know why. Another pleasant outcome =
is that the mixture is just the right consistency for spreading when you =
take it out of the fridge. I always found butter too hard, even when =
kept in the butter compartment.

I estimate that you put about 5 times more fat on a loaf of bread than =
you put in it. Using this mixture instead of straight butter allows me =
to either take in less fat for the same bread consumption or to eat more =
bread. I like bread.

So thanks Max and to all the others who wrote in. I'll eventually get =
around to trying yours too. Thanks again.