Raisin-Walnut-Cinnamon loaf...

Ted Burkmar <48N123W@bc.sympatico.ca>
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:17:21 -0800
v098.n073.9
The following is adapted from the 'Black & Decker Automatic Breadmaker'
manual that comes with the machine.  I have found some of their recipes
tend to be quite conservative with ingredients, and quantities can easily
be increased to make a superior loaf, in my opinion.  The original version
does not call for walnuts, but they bake well in raisin bread.  What follows
is the exact process/ingredients used to make a moist loaf.  I rarely toast
this; simply warming a slice for 3 minutes on power level 3 in my microwave
returns that 'just baked' effect.  This produces a very nice loaf at my
elevation. (sea level)  Suitable for a 1-1/2 or 2 pound machine.

1-1/3 cups filtered water
1/4 cup instant skim milk powder (Pacific brand)
2 Tbsp. margarine (Becel)
2 Tbsp. unrefined dry Demerara sugar (Taikoo brand from Mauritius)
1-1/2 Tsp. sea salt
4 cups unbleached white flour (*Millstream brand)
2 Tsp. cinnamon  (up to 3 Tsp. OK)
1-1/4 Tsp. Fleischmann's bread machine yeast

* Millstream is Canadian flour.  The original recipe calls for 4-1/4
cups American flour.  U.S. bakers might have to add a little extra
water to get the desired level of moistness in the finished loaf. Try
1/2 Tbsp. extra to start, if necessary.

Place in breadmaker, select 'Sweet Bread' setting, 'Regular Crust' & start
machine.

Add ingredients:  (see below)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Special instructions:
  Place 1-2 cups raisins on a large plate and select them one by one into
the measuring cup.  This may seem fussy, but these raisins tend to stick
together right out of the package, and a small percentage still have stems
attached.  The major departure from the instructions is the way I add the
walnuts & raisins.  I start to add the walnuts and raisins approx. 10 min.
before the machine 'beeps', but not all at once.  Add them evenly at one
minute intervals over the 10 minutes, and by the time the machine 'beeps'
all the raisins & walnuts have been added.  Doing it this way seems to
avoid excessive mashing by the paddle, and increases distribution.
Time: 3hrs. 50 min. in my machine.