Sticking paddles

jlee@cccp.net (John Lee)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 20:53:04 +0000
v098.n078.6
When I bought first used my machine in the UK a few months ago (a Mellerware
which inside seems to be identical to my Miami daughter-in-law's Wellbilt) I
had problems getting the paddle out. From what I have read this may be a
fairly common problem. But I've cracked it - maybe my methods might help
somebody else.

1. Before using the machine always lightly oil the hole in the paddle. Use
low-fat spray or vegetable oil.

2. After removing the cooked bread fill the pan with warm/hot water and
leave to soak for as long as practicable.

3. Tip water out and refill with hot water. Wait a few seconds (no longer)
and the paddle should lift off easily. It seems that the heat of the water
expands the hole in the paddle so that it slides off. Then of course wash
out the soggy dough which may still be around the spindle.

4.  Just sometimes this doesn't work so I designed a home made 'paddle
lifter'. Cut a credit card in half (preferably an old one :-)and using one
of the halves cut a slot with scissors wide enough to slide the card under
the paddle and around the spindle. Bend the ends of the card up to make
'wings' so that you can get your fingers under the card. With fine sandpaper
carefully smooth all the edges to avoid scratching the non-stick pan
surface. To use, slide the slot under the spindle, push the gunge out and
lift the card. The paddle slides off like a dream. (If all this doesn't work
try dynamite!)

What I don't understand about this paddle thing is that when the bread is
cooked you have to shake the pan like crazy to get the bread out, and none
of this shaking, nor the weight of the bread shifts the paddle. In fact only
once has the bread come out with the paddle inside. So it's not surprising
that you can't just lift paddles off easily.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

John Lee (UK)
e-mail jlee@cccp.net