re: Commercial flour what to buy...

William Waller <williamwaller@charter.net>
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:18:18 -0600
v104.n001.1
Eric,

I am sure that many readers of this group would recommend King Arthur
flour. It is a superior product and the one I used extensively when I lived
in New England. HOWEVER, if you live in the midwest, or, have access to
Dakota Maid flours, I would give them very serious consideration. You will
find the milling date printed on the top of every package. They have a web
site for technical information: <http://www.ndmill.com/>

North Dakota Mill and Elevator was created by the legislature of North
Dakota in 1922 in Grand Forks, ND to mill North Dakota wheat into flour. It
is the only state owned mill and elevator in the United States.  You will
be amazed at how good this flour is. It literally is incomparable. You've
got the best winter wheat agricultural sector in the US feeding a high
tech, well funded, milling operation.

As you work your way through Peter Reinhart's repertoire, set aside some
extra time for the naturally leavened breads. If Peter hadn't started
crying when he had his slow fermentation epiphany, he would have heard
angels singing. It's that good.

Will