Sourdough

fred smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Mon, 11 Jun 2012 09:15:57 -0400
v112.n022.4
Just wanted to drop a note into the archives about sourdough
starters. I know there's been a lot of discussion and advice over the
years, much of it from experts.

Over the last couple of years I've struggled to create a
nicely-flavored starter from flour and water. about 95% of the time I
don't get any leavening acitvity in the mixture at all. a couple of
times I have gotten a good active batch, but didn't like the flavor.

in desperation, I decided to try the dried starter from "Friends of
Carl" (carlsfriends.net). I just wanted to let you all know, those of
you who would like a nice starter but don't want to (or can't, like
me) get a good working starter using "natural" yeasts (i.e., mix
flour & water and let them sit til bubbly) that Carl's has a lovely,
complex flavor, and while it is definitely sour, the sour isn't the
only or even a primary part of the flavor.

I've tried a couple of the recipes from Carl's web site and they're
wonderful, especially the "alaskan sourdough". I note that some of
the recipes call for a little baking soda. I assume that's not for
leavening but to neutralize some of the acid. Whatever it does, I
always end up with a wonderful, flavorful bread.

last week I also tried the sourdough french bread recipe from the
original (1973) edition of Bernard Clayton Junior's Complete Book of
Breads. while the texture isn't quite what I want in a baguette, once
again the bread was (note that "was" is past tense! :)) wonderfully
flavorful (using the Carl's starter). I'm sure I'll be making it
again in the future.

--
Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government there will be no
end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom,