croissant bread pudding

Joan Ross <butterflyflour@gmail.com>
Sun, 24 Feb 2019 09:34:05 -0500
v119.n009.1
Not a bread but uses croissants for a fantastic dessert, everyone
wanted the recipe after I served it.

Serves 8, few steps, none hard

Baked in a water bath like a cheesecake. I use the leftover whites for
breakfast

11 extra large eggs: use 3 whole eggs and 8 yolks. Save the 8 whites for
something else or freeze the whites.
5 cups of half and half
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
6 stale or day old croissants
1 cup raisins or dried cranberries etc

Whisk eggs, yolks, half and half , sugar and vanilla until well
blended, set aside.

Cut croissants in half. Place bottom halves of croissants face up in
oblong dish or round casserole dish. Top with raisins and add
remaining tops of croissants over raisin layer, top sides up.

Pour on the egg mixture and press down with spoon to saturate
croissants. Let rest 10 minutes on the counter, then cover dish
tightly with foil and poke a few holes in foil to let steam
escape. Place dish in another pan with about an inch of water ( water
bath ).

Bake in a 350F oven for about 45 minutes, then remove foil and bake
till top becomes golden maybe another 20 minutes.

Cool to warm if serving for dessert right from dish.

My notes:

If serving later, store bread pudding tightly wrapped in the fridge
for up to 3 or 4 days then bring to room temperature and rewarm dish
in microwave about 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or till warm

Serve as is or with a fruit sauce

Source:  I adapted recipe from an Ina Garten recipe from Genius Kitchen