Homemade Oyster Crackers

Wed, 01 May 2019 17:36:03 -0700
v119.n018.2
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Crackers, Homemade Oyster

Recipe By     :Ursula
Serving Size  : 0     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Crackers/Crisps/Pretzels
                 Posted

   1                cup  all-purpose flour -- (150 g), +
   2        tablespoons  all-purpose flour
      1/2      teaspoon  fine salt
      1/2      teaspoon  sugar
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
   2        tablespoons  unsalted butter -- cold and cubed (28 g)
      1/4           cup  cold water -- +
   1         tablespoon  cold water -- (75 ml)

These tiny homemade oyster crackers are simply adorable and super
tasty. I got to know this kind of crackers when living in Boston
because, you know: No clam chowder is served without oyster crackers!

Btw, if you are wondering why they are called oyster crackers, the
most common answer is probably that they were originally served in
oyster stews and clam chowder, or because they are vaguely
oyster-shaped. Oyster crackers do not contain any oyster-products -
they are vegetarian.

By the way, no worries about finding a cookie cutter to cut out those
oyster crackers to look authentic. I didn't have one on hand and
simply used random things that I found in my kitchen, like bottle
tops and caps.

Curious what I used to get these tiny crackers with the star-imprint?
You'll never guess, haha: A screw cap from a mayonnaise tube :-)  A
cap from a tube of tomato paste or mustard tube or a frosting tip
will likely work as fine (0.6" or 1.7 cm in diameter).

Yield: 1 baking sheet (roughly 2C)

Add flour, salt, sugar, and baking powder into a big bowl and whisk to combine.

Work butter cubes into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter, a
knife, or simply your fingertips until it resembles coarse meal.

Add water and stir with a spoon until all ingredients come together
into a ball. Knead it for a few seconds. Add very little additional
flour or water if needed (the ratio always works for me). Set the
dough aside, covered, to rest for 10 minutes.

Roll dough out on a well-floured surface until roughly 8-by-13"
(35x20 cm) to a thickness of 1/8" (3 mm). Make sure to flour the
bottom side of the dough and the cookie cutter well before you start
to cut them out, otherwise they can stick to the surface or the cutter.

Cut dough into small circles (or squares, which is faster and easier)
that are about 1/2 to 3/4" wide. Transfer them to a parchment
paper-lined baking sheet as soon as you've cut a couple of them with
some space in between. If cutting out circles, do not cut all of them
before transferring to a sheet since they'll stick to the surface by time.

Gather dough scraps, and roll them out again. Make sure that all the
crackers have a similar thickness, otherwise they'll brown unevenly.

Preheat oven to 350F (175 C) - if using fan, reduce temperature
slightly. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes in the center position
until crackers are showing color around the bottom edges.

Remove from the oven and allow cooling completely. Check the bottom
side of the crackers as soon as you remove them from the oven. If
they are rather browned already, remove them from the sheet (it's
easiest to simply lift the parchment paper).

Once cooled completely, the oyster crackers can be stored in a sealed
container at room temperature for two weeks. I even ate some leftover
crackers one month later since I forgot about them and they still
tasted fine, a tad less crunchy maybe but still good to snack and
perfect for soups.

Source:
   "adapted from Serious Eats"
S(Internet address):
   "http://www.lilvienna.com/homemade-oyster-crackers/";

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 726 Calories; 24g Fat (30.4%
calories from fat); 15g Protein; 110g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
62mg Cholesterol; 1562mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 7 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2
Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0413