Comments on Bread, No-knead Sourdough

Jeffrey Kreitman <jeffkreitman@gmail.com>
Mon, 13 May 2019 20:10:38 -0400
v119.n020.4
Reggie and Jeff - Thanks for posting the KAF no knead sourdough
recipe.  I found this a few months ago and I think it is one of the
most approachable sourdough recipes.  I'm a bit of a beginner with
sourdough and I have done the Chad Robertson Tartine Loaf and it is a
lot more complicated in terms of time and process.  For a high
hydration loaf the time in the fridge in this recipe makes this so
much easier to shape and handle than my experience with the Tartine
loaves.

I also find the timeline of this loaf works really well with my
schedule, too.  I can take my unfed starter out of the fridge in the
morning and feed it in a few minutes while I get the kids lunches
ready.  Then I let it sit on the counter until after dinner.  Then I
can add all the other ingredients and start the 3 hour folding process
in the bucket (tip, wet your hand before each fold to reduce sticking)
and get it in the fridge by 9 or 10pm.  The next morning I can take it
out of the fridge and with minimal "active" time the loaf can be done
by lunch.

Now I will say Chad Robertson has some amazing ideas for porridge
loaves and other add ins that are all delicious so I would certainly
encourage you to use this basic recipe and combine it with any
suggestions you've seen in other recipes, or your own ideas.  If
you've struggled with super sticky high hydration sourdough loaves I
encourage you to try this method as I have had much greater success
using this method.