A thank you and a question

Susan Hermosillo <sueherm@pacbell.net>
Mon, 27 May 2019 10:24:43 -0700
v119.n022.1
First, thank you, Reggie, so, so much for including the sourdough
bread recipe (the issue before last). It was better than any other
I've tried. And most importantly, it wasn't gummy, which has been
consistently a problem for me.

I've realized that my problem was that I was underbaking it. I always
baked it to 205 degrees, and it needs 210 degree plus another 5 or so
minutes.  Which bring me to my question. In baking to this temperature
the crust gets very, very dark. Not quite burned, but certainly well
past the beautiful golden brown that I would like. I have tried
reducing the malt and then baking longer with the lid of the cloche
on, then tenting with foil once the lid is removed, and that helped
some. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards,
Sue