Honey Spelt Sourdough Bread

Thu, 06 Jun 2019 21:32:18 -0700
v119.n023.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                        Bread, Honey Spelt Sourdough

Recipe By     :King Arthur Flour Co.
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted

                         LEVAIN:
   99                 g  spelt flour -- (1C or 3 1/2 oz)
   113                g  water -- room temperature (1/2C or 4 oz)
   1         tablespoon  sourdough starter
                         DOUGH:
   298                g  spelt flour -- (3C or 10 1/2 oz)
   120                g  Unbleached All-Purpose Flour -- (to 177g or
1 to 1 1/2C or 4 1/4 to 6 1/4 oz)
                         all the levain
   227                g  lukewarm water -- (1C or 8 oz)
   28                 g  unsalted butter -- melted (2 Tbsp or 1 oz)
   43                 g  honey -- (2 Tbsp or 1 1/2 oz)
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
      1/2      teaspoon  instant yeast

The inspiration for this bread comes from the King Arthur Flour Whole
Grain Baking cookbook. We made a few adaptations, and were extra
pleased with the crispy crust and even-textured interior we gained
from baking it in our covered bread loaf baker. The honey works with
the sourdough to create a high-rising loaf, and complements the
natural sweetness of the spelt flour - making this a perfect bread for toast.

PREP: 25 mins.
BAKE: 40 mins. to 45 mins.
TOTAL: 15 hrs 40 mins.
YIELD: 1 loaf

The night before you're going to bake, make the levain: Weigh the
spelt flour, or measure it by gently spooning it into a measuring cup
and sweeping off the excess. Mix the spelt flour, water, and starter
together, cover, and set aside at room temperature for 12 hours, or
overnight. At this time the levain should be expanded and very
bubbly, but not yet starting to fall.

The next day, weigh the flours, or measure them by gently spooning
them into a measuring cup and sweeping off the excess. Combine the
flours with all the levain, and the remaining dough ingredients.

Mix and knead everything together - by hand, mixer, or bread machine
set on the dough cycle - until you have a soft, smooth, elastic
dough, incorporating only as much of the remaining 1/2 cup of
all-purpose flour as you need to keep the dough from sticking; it
will quickly become smooth and elastic.

Let the dough rise, covered, for about 1 hour. It won't double in
that time, but it will start to get puffy.

Meanwhile, grease a covered bread loaf baker.

After an hour, remove the dough from the bowl and form it into a 9"
log. Place the loaf in the baker, cover it with the baker's lid, and
let it rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

About 30 minutes before you're ready to bake, preheat your oven to 425F.

Remove the lid of the baker, and slash the loaf lengthwise down the
center; dusting the loaf lightly with flour will help you make a
neater slash and gives the finished loaf a nice artisan look. Place
the cover back on the baker.

Bake the bread for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to
400F and bake for 25 to 30 minutes longer. Remove the lid, and bake
for another 5 minutes or so, until the loaf is nicely golden; a
digital thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf should read 190F.

Remove the bread from the oven, turn it out of the baker immediately,
and cool it thoroughly before slicing.

Store bread at room temperature, well wrapped, for several days.
Freeze for longer storage.

Tip: If you don't have a covered bread loaf baker, you can bake the
loaf in a metal 9" x 5" loaf pan. Prepare your oven for steaming by
placing an oven-safe pan on the bottom rack before preheating. As the
oven is preheating, heat a small pan of water on the stove until it
comes to a simmer. As the loaf goes into the oven, pour a small
amount (about 1/2 cup) of the hot water into the pan in the oven to
create a burst of steam (we recommend using oven mitts for this job).
Immediately shut the oven door, bake the bread for 10 minutes at
425F, then reduce the oven temperature to 400F, and bake for 30 to 35
minutes longer, tenting the loaf with foil for the final 15 to 20
minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.

Review: I've baked this recipe four times. I wrote a glowing review
the first time. The next two times, I had problems with the recipe.
The dough seemed too wet and it sank a bit in the center. When I
baked it this weekend, I weighed a cup of spelt flour, and mine
weighed a lot more in grams than what the recipe states. I decided to
bake the recipe by volume, which is what I did the first time, and it
came out just as wonderful as I remember it. I suggest that KAF check
the weight of the spelt flour--both in grams and ounces.I also have
noted that in two different ovens, my bread bakes faster than the
times given. I do use the Emile Henry long baker rather than the EH
loaf pan. I found that taking the cover off about 23 minutes into the
second baking phase, then baking uncovered for about 7 minutes longer
keeps the bread from being overdone.

Review: This recipe was amazing! Been struggling to find a good spelt
sourdough, one mediocre loaf after another. This one, first try-
EXACTLY what I'd been hoping for. No alterations needed! I used a
glass loaf pan without a lid, but followed the instructions with the
steam.... so delicious. Thank you!

Review: Thanks to all who have reviewed this recipe. In particular,
letting the levain sit longer at cooler temperatures and using the
bread machine to knead, were great tips. I would add these three: 1)
add the melted butter after the dough has started to mix, 2) give the
dough a rest period before shaping, and 3) if you are using a bread
baking dish, be sure it is centered with the height of your oven. (I
explain these three below.)My levain, started at 5 p.m., sat all
night in a cool house, and at 10:30 the next morning it was ready. I
proofed the yeast in warm water with a tablespoon of the honey,
because I am more comfortable seeing the yeast activate. I then
stirred it into the levain, along with the additional tablespoon of
honey. I put that yeast-levain mixture into the pan of the bread
machine, then mixed in the additional spelt with a cup of KAF
all-purpose flour, and the salt. I put it on the dough cycle. My
machine mixes for 5 minutes, then rests for 5 minutes before the next
20 minutes of mixing and kneading. As the rest was ending, I added
the 2 Tbs. of melted butter around the edges of the pan. I did not
need that additional half cup of flour, although the dough was
slightly sticky when the bread machine finished the kneading cycle. I
let it rise in a covered bowl for an hour, then I greased the bottom
half of my new Emile Henry long bread baker and liberally coated it
with semolina. I formed the dough into a rough oval, then covered it
on the mat for 10 minutes. I shaped it by folding the oval in half
lengthwise, sealing the edge with my hand, flattening the oval again,
then folding it in half lengthwise again, sealing the edge, then
rolling it into a cylinder, which I plopped into the baking dish. I
had to do a bit more shaping (still working on my technique). I
covered it with its domed lid. After an hour, it did not seem to have
risen quite enough, so I let it go another 20 minutes but slashed it
three times after 15 minutes. I then followed the directions for
baking, but I moved the oven shelf down one rung, so that the bottom
and the top of the baking dish would be centered in the oven. I
followed the directions, although my oven may have been 25F hotter on
the first ten minutes, since an oven thermometer showed me that it
runs 50F hotter from the lower rack. I adjusted accordingly for the
lowered bake time for the next 25 minutes, and the additional 5
minutes with the lid off. I baked to 198F.It's a wonderful bread with
a chewier crust (did not reach crispy) and some of the larger holes
that we like to see in "artisan" breads. I'm amazed that a bread
recipe with 4 cups of spelt to 1 cup KAF all-purpose produced such a
light interior texture. The levain was certainly a factor, but the
baking dish likely helped as well, as it kept the steam in.

Review: This is really good bread. I was worried, because my levain
did not look like it was doing anything! It had expanded a bit, but
not a lot and was not bubbly! I forged ahead and made the bread. I
did double the yeast because I was worried about the levain. The
bread rose perfectly, browned well in baking, and tastes delicious!
It is awesome as toast and I think will make a great sandwich as
well. I do not have a covered bread loaf baker, so I followed the
tips at the end of the recipe for baking in a regular loaf pan.
Perfect! I will definitely be making it again.

Review: This recipe completely surprised me. I had never been wild
about spelt bread. I used freshly milled spelt. I was out of honey so
I used turbinado sugar and molasses. The levain looked perfect after
four hours at 70 degrees. I've baked this 5 times now and can't stop
making this recipe. I must ask for more spelt recipes. This bread has
great texture and the flavor is excellent. I gave it to all my
neighbors and baked a loaf for a local bakery. Excellent.

Review: Because of time restraints I let the dough rise in the
refrigerator then came back to it later in the day. I baked it in a
nine inch Pullman pan. It came out great as a square shaped loaf with
a soft crumb, perfect for sandwiches. The cold first rise gave it a
little more sourdough tang. I enjoy using spelt flour and I will
definitely make this bread again. Good flavor, good nutrition!

Review: This recipe worked very well, using the metal loaf pan and
steam in the oven, as recommended when you don't have a covered pan.
I was a little skeptical about the outcome because the dough was so
slack compared to other recipes - no real "shaping" required - I just
pulled it into a log shape and then pushed it down in the loaf pan to
the corners. It took about an hour to rise above the edge of the pan.
I followed the baking instructions exactly as printed here, and the
bread came out very nicely. Crisp crust and soft, but dense interior.
Toasts very well.

Review: this was so delicious, i really appreciated the nutty qualify
of spelt flour. i didn't need to buy a fancy covered loaf baker and
just used a dutch oven. it was terrific.

Review: Nice recipe. I don't have a covered loaf pan so followed the
steam instructions in the tips and the crust came out well. Good
texture and moisture in the interior (I did add most of the extra
all-purpose flour to help it form up during the knead) and the honey
flavor comes through clearly.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/honey-spelt-sourdough-bread-recipe

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 121 Calories; 2g Fat (18.2%
calories from fat); 3g Protein; 22g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
5mg Cholesterol; 224mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0606