Basic Pogaca Dinner Rolls

Mon, 10 Jun 2019 19:20:52 -0700
v119.n024.1
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Rolls, Basic Pogaca Dinner

Recipe By     :Maura Kilpatrick
Categories    : Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Muffins/Rolls
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

                         For the dough:
   1                cup  whole milk -- warmed to 105F
   1               Tbs.  active dry yeast -- (9 g)
   2               tsp.  granulated sugar
   1              large  egg
      1/2           cup  canola oil -- more as needed
   13 1/2           oz.  all-purpose flour -- more as needed (3C)
   2               tsp.  kosher salt
                         For shaping and baking:
   1              large  egg
   1               tsp.  whole milk
   3               Tbs.  sesame seeds -- or poppy seeds, optional

Though there are many options for filling pogaca, these light, soft,
airy dinner rolls are also delicious plain, shaped into simple rolls
and sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds.

Full recipe including fillings & rolling can be found in Fine Cooking
magazine Oct/Nov 2017 #149. (Reggie)

In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the milk, yeast, and sugar. Set
aside until foamy, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the egg and oil. Put the
dough hook on the stand mixer. Add the flour and salt, and mix on low
speed until the flour is incorporated, scraping the bowl as needed.
Increase the speed to medium low, and knead until smooth and
stretchy, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, combine and knead the dry
ingredients by hand.)

Lightly flour a work surface, and lightly oil a large bowl. turn the
dough out onto the surface and sprinkle lightly with flour. Shape
into a ball, and transfer to the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and
let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment.

Lightly flour a clean work surface, and turn the dough out onto it.
Deflate the dough and divide into 17 pieces, about 1 1/2 oz. each.
Roll each piece into a ball and place on the baking sheet, leaving at
least 2" between each, less if you like a flat-edge look (as
pictured). Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at room temperature
until an indentation remains after you press a roll with a finger, 30
to 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, position a rack in the center of the oven and heat to 350F.

Whisk the egg and milk, and lightly brush each roll with the wash.
Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds, if you like. Bake until golden
brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet set on a wire rack.
Serve warm or at room temperature, preferably on the same day.

Tip: You can shape the pogaca a day ahead. Before the final rise,
cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Let them have their final
rise at room temperature as directed, and then bake as directed. You
can also freeze them on a baking sheet before the final rise and
transfer to a freezer bag once frozen solid. Thaw overnight in the
refrigerator before allowing to rise at room temperature for 1 to 1
1/2 hours, then bake as directed. The great thing about this option
is that you can thaw just a few at a time and have pogaca whenever you want.

Cal 160, Fat 8g, Carb 19g, Sod 150mg, Fiber 1g, Pro 4g

Review: This is very similar to the basic pan rolls that have been on
our holiday table since I was a child, at least 70 years in my mostly
English and Scandinavian midwestern family. My recipe has less fat,
about 1/3 c melted butter, and a little less salt, but those are the
only differences. I can attest the dough is easy to handle, the rolls
light, and tender. I plan to try some of the fillings immediately,
probably the feta version. For the person who wanted to sub another
liquid for milk--the taste and texture will be different. I used soy
milk one year for a lactose intolerant guest, and could definitely
taste the soy--next time for me, just water. The texture was similar
to Italian bread rolls.

Review: I used half the dough to make plain roles and the other half
to make the apple-filled version. We liked them both but next time I
would use a different oil, as the baked canola oil has a slightly
fishy flavor. I also found the dough to be quite soft, which make
wrapping it around the apple filling a bit of a challenge.

Review: We made this today and I'm very impressed. The resulting bun
was perfectly textured. However I found there was too much salt so we
will be cutting the salt in half for the next batch. Otherwise, great recipe!

S(Internet address):
   https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/basic-pogaca-dinner-rolls

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 169 Calories; 9g Fat (45.3%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
27mg Cholesterol; 238mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0610