Whole-Wheat Pita

Thu, 08 Aug 2019 19:59:32 -0700
v119.n033.3
* Exported from MasterCook *

                          Bread, Whole-Wheat Pita

Recipe By     :Cook's Illustrated
Serving Size  : 8     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Low Fat                         Posted
                 Stand Mixer

   1 1/3           cups  whole-wheat flour -- (7 1/3 oz)
   1 1/3           cups  bread flour -- (7 1/3 oz)
   2 1/4      teaspoons  instant yeast -- or rapid-rise yeast
   1                cup  ice water -- plus  (9 oz)
   2        tablespoons  ice water
      1/4           cup  extra-virgin olive oil
   4          teaspoons  honey
   1 1/4      teaspoons  salt
                         Vegetable oil spray

Our recipe creates tender, chewy pitas with perfect pockets, every
time. We start with a 50/50 combination of high-protein bread flour,
which encourages pocket formation and increases the pita's chew, and
whole-wheat flour, which contributes nutty flavor. A high hydration
level and a generous amount of oil help keep the pita tender, and
honey adds a touch of sweetness. After quickly making the dough in
the stand mixer, we shape it into balls and let it proof overnight in
the refrigerator to develop complex flavor. We then roll the dough
balls into thin, even disks before baking them on a hot baking stone
placed on the lowest oven rack, which ensures that they puff up
quickly and fully.

For the best results, we recommend weighing the flour and water. We
prefer King Arthur bread flour for this recipe. If you don't have a
baking stone, bake the pitas on an overturned and preheated rimmed
baking sheet. The pitas are best eaten within 24 hours of baking.
Reheat leftover pitas by wrapping them in aluminum foil, placing them
in a cold oven, setting the temperature to 300 degrees, and baking
for 15 to 20 minutes.

Sift whole-wheat flour through fine-mesh strainer into bowl of stand
mixer; discard bran remaining in strainer. Whisk bread flour and
yeast into whole-wheat flour. Add ice water, oil, and honey on top of
flour mixture. Fit stand mixer with dough hook and mix on low speed
until all flour is moistened, 1 to 2 minutes. Let dough stand for 10 minutes.

Add salt to dough and mix on medium speed until dough forms satiny,
sticky ball that clears sides of bowl, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer dough
to lightly oiled counter and knead until smooth, about 1 minute.
Divide dough into 8 equal pieces (about 3â?? oz each). Shape dough
pieces into tight, smooth balls and transfer, seam side down, to
rimmed baking sheet coated with oil spray. Spray tops of balls
lightly with oil spray, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and
refrigerate for at least 16 hours or up to 24 hours.

One hour before baking pitas, adjust oven rack to lowest position,
set baking stone on rack, and heat oven to 425F.

Remove dough from refrigerator. Coat 1 dough ball generously on both
sides with flour and place on well-floured counter, seam side down.
Use heel of your hand to press dough ball into 5" circle. Using
rolling pin, gently roll into 7" circle, adding flour as necessary to
prevent sticking. Roll slowly and gently to prevent any creasing.
Repeat with second dough ball. Brush both sides of each dough round
with pastry brush to remove any excess flour. Transfer dough rounds
to unfloured peel, making sure side that was facing up when you began
rolling is faceup again.

Slide both dough rounds carefully onto stone and bake until evenly
inflated and lightly browned on undersides, 1 to 3 minutes. Using
peel, slide pitas off stone and, using your hands or spatula, gently
invert. (If pitas do not puff after 3 minutes, flip immediately to
prevent overcooking.) Return pitas to stone and bake until lightly
browned in center of second side, 1 minute. Transfer pitas to wire
rack to cool, covering loosely with clean dish towel. Repeat shaping
and baking with remaining 6 pitas in 3 batches. Let pitas cool for 10
minutes before serving.

How to Shape Pitas That Reliably Form Pockets:
Shaping the dough into smooth, taut balls and rolling the proofed
balls into even disks are the keys to pitas that reliably puff in the oven.

Before Proofing:
Working in a circle, pull the edges of the dough into the center,
forming a ball.
Holding the ball in your hand, pinch the seams together to seal,
creating a taut surface.

After Proofing:
To ensure that the dough is thoroughly coated in flour before it even
hits the counter to be rolled out, we add flour to a bowl and turn
each dough ball in it, brushing the excess right back into the bowl.
Use the heel of your hand to press the thoroughly floured dough ball
into a 5" circle.

Roll the dough into a 7" disk. Roll slowly and gently to prevent any creasing.

Before baking, make sure the side that was facing up when you began
rolling is faceup again - this helps with puffing.

Cal 235, Fat 8g, Carb 34g, Sod 197mg, Fiber 2g, Pro 5g

Review: Gosh, my first attempt at making pita pockets. It was such a
thrill to see them pop up in the oven and impress my dinner guests.

Question: Has anyone tried this without removing the bran by sifting?
Response: I think you will find the pita will have a coarser, denser
texture with the bran.

Review: This is a great recipe. The techniques are very helpful and
effective. It all unfolded exactly as you said it would and the pitas
taste great. They are so much finer than store bought. A million thanks.

S(Internet address):
   https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/11190-whole-wheat-pita-bread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 224 Calories; 8g Fat (29.7%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber;
0mg Cholesterol; 336mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0808