Southern-Style Cornbread

Fri, 27 Sep 2019 17:26:52 -0700
v119.n039.6
* Exported from MasterCook *

                         Cornbread, Southern-Style

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 6     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Bread                           Bread-Bakers Mailing List
                 Cast-Iron Skillet               Low Fat
                 Posted

   4          teaspoons  bacon drippings -- or 1 tablespoon melted
butter and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
   1                cup  yellow cornmeal -- preferably stone ground
   2          teaspoons  granulated sugar
      1/2      teaspoon  table salt
   1           teaspoon  baking powder
      1/4      teaspoon  baking soda
      1/3           cup  water -- rapidly boiling
      3/4           cup  buttermilk
   1              large  egg -- beaten lightly

We wondered if our Southern-style cornbread recipe (white cornmeal
and no flour or sugar) might have something to learn from our
Northern-style cornbread recipe (yellow cornmeal, fair to generous
portions of flour and sugar). Combining the two recipes to come up
with a happy medium, we used yellow cornmeal for potent corn flavor,
adding a small amount of sugar to enhance the natural sweetness of
the corn. We started with cornmeal mush (moistening the cornmeal with
some water first) because cornbread that started with some mush had
the most corn flavor we'd tasted yet, and it also produced a fine, moist crumb.

Unlike its sweet, cakey Northern counterpart, Southern cornbread is
thin, crusty, and decidedly savory. Though some styles of Southern
cornbread are dry and crumbly, I favor this dense, moist, tender
version. Cornmeal mush of just the right texture is essential to this
bread. Though I prefer to make cornbread in a preheated cast-iron
skillet, a 9" round cake pan or 9" square baking pan, greased lightly
with butter and not preheated, will also produce acceptable results
if you double the recipe and bake the bread for 25 minutes.

MAKES: ONE 8" SKILLET OF BREAD

Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 450F. Set
8" cast-iron skillet with bacon fat (or vegetable oil) in heating oven.

Measure 1/3 cup cornmeal into medium bowl. Mix remaining cornmeal,
sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in small bowl; set aside.

Pour boiling water all at once into the 1/3 cup cornmeal; stir to
make a stiff mush. Whisk in buttermilk gradually, breaking up lumps
until smooth, then whisk in egg. When oven is preheated and skillet
very hot, stir dry ingredients into mush mixture until just
moistened. Carefully remove skillet from oven. Pour hot bacon fat (or
melted butter) from the skillet into the batter and stir to
incorporate, then quickly pour batter into heated skillet. Bake until
golden brown, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and instantly turn
cornbread onto wire rack; cool for 5 minutes, then serve immediately.

Technique: Getting the Batter Just Right: If your mush looks crumbly,
it is too firm; work in a tablespoon or two of hot water to loosen it
before adding the wet ingredients.
If the water is not hot enough, the starch will not gelatinize, the
batter will be too thin, and the mush will not form.
The mush should be like soft polenta: thick enough to give the batter
body, but pliable enough to stir wet ingredients in easily.

Cal 929, Fat 27g, Carb 143g, Sod 1169mg, Fiber 6g, Pro 23g

S(Internet address):
   https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/874-southern-style-cornbread

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 141 Calories; 4g Fat (28.3%
calories from fat); 4g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber;
39mg Cholesterol; 388mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean
Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 0119