Yeasted Banana Bread

Thu, 03 Oct 2019 23:42:41 -0700
v119.n040.7
* Exported from MasterCook *

                           Bread, Yeasted Banana

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread                           Bread Machine
                 Bread-Bakers Mailing List       Fruit
                 Hand Made                       Low Fat
                 Posted                          Stand Mixer

                         Medium loaf: (1 1/2 lb. bread machine) --
(Large loaf (2 lb. bread machine))
   1               Tbsp  water -- (1/3C)
   3               Tbsp  oil -- (1/4C)
   3               Tbsp  honey -- (1/4C)
      3/4           tsp  vanilla -- (1 tsp)
   1                     egg -- (1)
   2               cups  bread flour -- (3C)
      2/3           cup  whole wheat flour -- (1C)
      2/3           cup  banana -- mashed, (7/8C)
   1                tsp  salt -- (1 1/2 tsp)
   2 1/4           tsp.  Active Dry Yeast -- (1/4oz, 7g) (1 TBSP)

The bananas must be ripe to give the rich taste to this bread. The
bread keeps well and tastes even better the next day. Exceptionally
good toasted.

Notes: Bananas vary in liquid content. It is very important to check
the dough consistency adding more water or more flour as necessary.
Note: This is not a cake-like sweet banana bread.

Bread Machine: Have liquid ingredients at 80F and all others at room
temperature. Place ingredients in pan in the order listed. Select
basic cycle and medium/normal crust. Check dough consistency after 5
minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it
is dry and stiff, add water, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is
too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. When cycle
is complete, remove from pan; cool on rack.

Traditional Method: Using ingredient amounts listed for medium loaf,
combine yeast, 1 cup bread flour and salt; mix well. Heat water and
oil to 120-130F; add to flour mixture. Blend at low speed. Add egg,
honey, vanilla and bananas: beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand,
gradually stir in whole wheat flour and enough of the remaining bread
flour to make a firm dough. Knead on floured surface 5 to 7 minutes
until smooth and elastic. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl; turn to
grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.

On lightly floured surface, roll or pat dough to a 14 x 7" rectangle.
Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll
with each turn. Pinch edges and ends to seal. Place in greased 8 x 4"
bread pan. Cover; let rise until indentation remains when lightly
touched. Bake in a 400F preheated oven for 15 minutes; reduce heat to
375F and bake 20 to 25 minutes longer until browned and loaves sound
hollow when tapped. Bread is thoroughly baked when its internal
temperature tests 190F. Remove from pan; cool on rack.

*You can substitute Instant yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When
using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let
your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts;
Bread Machine: use 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast OR 3/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
per cup of flour in your recipe.

Review: Excellent! Dense, moist, soft crumb. Loved the flavor. Added
1/2 tsp cinnamon and ginger and 1 tbsp vital wheat gluten, but those
were the only changes I made to the recipe. Kneaded dough by hand for
approximately 10 minutes until it passed the windowpane test. Dough
was sticky to work with and I ended up kneading in an additional 3
tbsp flour to get it to a soft, tacky texture. First rise was slow -
about 3 hours. Proofed in pan for 1 1/2 hours. Took longer than the
recipe suggested to bake. At 190 it seemed to be underbaked, with
gummy crumbs on the thermometer probe. I baked to an internal
temperature of 205, and the bread was moist and sliced beautifully.
As pictured, the top crust is a dark brown, even though I tented it with foil.

Review: My first rise was also very slow. I doubled the "medium"
recipe, yeast included. That crust is very dark mahogany, and I may
bake next time for 35 minutes at the 375 to get a more moderate
crust. But recipe is delicious and definitely worth repeating.

Review: I made this vegan by omitting the egg and adding additional
banana instead. I also used agave nectar instead of honey. The dough
looks and smells great. It's rising right now but I'll try to
remember to come back and comment after it is done to let you all
know how it turned out.

S(Internet address):
   https://redstaryeast.com/recipes/banana-bread/
Yield:
   "1 loaf"

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 172 Calories; 4g Fat (22.7%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber;
18mg Cholesterol; 185mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0
Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : 2019 - 1003