Advice on working with lye

Jeffrey Kreitman <jeffkreitman@gmail.com>
Tue, 1 Oct 2019 00:14:05 -0400
v119.n040.9
I really want to make "authentic" pretzels which I understand requires
lye but I'm unsure how to use lye safely.  (The recipe Reggie included
on Sept 8 sounds amazing and would be my first venture,) I've seen
notes about only using stainless steel pans.  What about the utensils
I dip the pretzels with - can I use a plastic spatula or must that be
stainless steel as well?  Is it a good idea to wear gloves?  What
happens if it splashes on my glass cook top?  What do I do with the
solution after I've dipped my pretzels?  I've hunted online a bit but
have had difficulty finding clear answers from a reliable source so if
anyone has experience working with lye any safety tips would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!